Christmas Cake!

Recipe suggestions and advice please!!

1 to 20 of 29 messages
14/09/2004 at 14:10
1 x Marks and Spencers
14/09/2004 at 14:15
:)

Nope, merely sensible... If you knew how bad my cooking was...!
I've got a tried and trusted recipe that I use every year but it would take almost forever to type it all out on here. Check on the BBC website under the recipe section, they should have some good ones. Are you making a "standard" cake or a "special" one (ie, dairy free - wheat free - nut free etc etc etc)?
Forgot to say - I usually make mine the end of October so you've got stacks of time yet.
14/09/2004 at 14:19
Lots of brandy is an essential ingrediant
14/09/2004 at 14:22
EP - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/christmascake_2359.shtml

Hopefully this will work!! It's a link to one in the BBC website (I haven't tried it so can't vouch for it!!).

Hill runner is spot on - You'll need at least double the quantity of brandy and rum!!
14/09/2004 at 14:22
If you're having a pig of a day, then why not cheer yourself up by making
the Vodka Christmas Cake tonight!

Christmas Cake Ingredients:
1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
lemon juice
4 large eggs
nuts
1 bottle Vodka
2 cups of dried fruit

Sample the vodka to check quality.
Take a large bowl, check the vodka again.
To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.
Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again.
At this point it's best to make sure the vodka is shtill OK. Try another
cup.... just in case

Turn off the mixerer.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
Pick fruit off floor. Mix on the turner.
If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers pry it loose with a
sdrewscriver.

Sample the vodka to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who giveshz a shit.

Check the vodka.
Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a
spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven and piss in the fridge. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and
try not to fall over.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the vodka and kick the
cat. Fall into bed.

CHERRY MISTMAS!

14/09/2004 at 14:24
Cracked me up - absolutely love it!!

Got to be said tho - you do have to keep on checking the grog while you're making the cake!!
14/09/2004 at 14:26
my recipe:

Wait til nearer Christmas to start talking about Christmas!
14/09/2004 at 14:29
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the shops are starting to stock Christmas cards etc - it was still summer then!!
IronM.in    pirate
14/09/2004 at 14:30

LOL lots DtS - thats just ace - my kind of cake!!! Can I come to yours for Xmas??

EP - will get Mums recipe and e-mail it to you - its lurvely but as everyone says - the trick is in the alcohol - lots n lots n lots!!! I suggest you add a dash of something every time it rains!!!! (Tip - make cake in a biiiiiiiiiiig container!)
14/09/2004 at 14:31
That's scary!!
14/09/2004 at 14:34
Welcome any time Minnie... you will have to introduce yourself at the Chester Zoo 10k

I know it rains every day in the Midlands.. that's why I left, although I nearly floated up the M62 into Scouseland this morning
14/09/2004 at 14:36
Brandy and rum are better once the cake is made once a week pierce the base of the cake with a skewer (or anything else that's long and sharp) and chuck about 4 or 5 tablespoons of brandy all over. This will keep it moist (and very nice tasting!!!) till you decorate.
IronM.in    pirate
14/09/2004 at 14:39
My mum does the same as PP - she sticks a knitting needle in it once a week and then pours whatever is the liquor of the day over it - she uses a sherry glass at a time.
IronM.in    pirate
14/09/2004 at 14:41
You'll notice my cake knowledge is all second hand - thats cos mum's are sooo good, she always makes them for us all. When she has made the mixture in her battered old Kenwood Chef, it sits on the breakfast bar for a few days covered in a muslim cloth and as we all drop in we all get to stir it and make a wish! Only once we've all wished (and any friends who drop by) does it get baked. A tradition left over from childhood, but its a nice one for perhaps you and Oliver to start Pix, it all adds up to the specialness!
14/09/2004 at 14:46
Pixie - a couple of tips. Put a bowl of water in the oven to keep your cake moist while baking. Also, cut a square (or a circle if you're using a round cake tin!) of brown paper with a one-inch hole in the centre and put it over your cake when it's about half baked. It will help stop the top from burning while the centre cooks.

Open the oven door as little as poss during baking - helps prevent the cake from sinking in the middle. My mum also used to say avoid slamming any doors while the Xmas cake is baking - same reason, I think.

Blimey - I'm turning into my mum. Who was an extremely good cook, so I guess I could do worse!

Once cake is cooked, wrap it in greaseproof paper and then in foil to keep fresh and apply brandy/rum as Pavement Plodder advises.

Of course, oop 'ere in t'dales, we wouldn't dream of serving Xmas cake without a generous slice of Wensleydale cheese alongside. My southern softy friends always give me odd looks when I suggest that ... until they taste it.

Here endeth Jill's cookery lesson. Eat your heart out, Delia.
14/09/2004 at 14:48
I've never bought a Christmas cake. My mum always made them when I was little (I used to be "helper girl" and get to lick the bowl afterwards!!). All her cooking habits have passed down to me - my sister's hate cooking and don't believe in making something if you can buy it ready done. I've even started making my own mincemeat - much nicer than shop bought (and stacks more booze in it too!!).
14/09/2004 at 14:49
EP - Try stirring the mixture with you left hand - the anti-clockwise motion will make all the difference!

;-)
14/09/2004 at 14:52
home made mincemeat-mmmmmmmmmm

And cheese with the cakwe-thank god someone else does it
Hubby wont believe meĀ¬!
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.