cleaning advice required

13 messages
05/07/2003 at 18:03
I ran a craoss country race in the week. During the day we had had torrential rain and as a result the course was VERY muddy. My running shoes were covered. What is the best way to clean /dry my shoes and prevent them from 'smelling' once dried out?
05/07/2003 at 18:07
Few I thought we were talking housework for a minute!

Was going to post...

DON'T!
05/07/2003 at 18:38
Wait till they're dry and go over them with a scrubbing brush.

Wouldnt bother trying to get them to smell sweet. Only way you'll really do that is in a washing machine and as Maggie S says

DONT!!

Might be worth buying a pair specifically for off-road/trail. They tend to be slightly cheaper than road shoes and it means you cane keep your road shoes cleaner for longer.
05/07/2003 at 18:45
You are talking about your running shoes there aren't you Xerxes?

:-)
WildWill    pirate
05/07/2003 at 18:46
I just wait for mud to dry than use nail brush

Or not bother cleaning them :o)
05/07/2003 at 18:50
If I'm being honest, I wait till half an hour before my next race and retrieve them from the Tesco bag they've been in ever since the last race, then bang them together for a few minutes.

Lets face it, if the soles are only going to last 400-500 miles seems pointless ensuring the rest of it's pristine.

Mind you, I go mad with the kids when they do the same! I'm a baaad parent!
WildWill    pirate
05/07/2003 at 18:51
Less than 400 if your a big lad

I like a good bang as well

easyer than rubbing
05/07/2003 at 18:52
Glad I'm not the only one who employs the banging them together technic!
WildWill    pirate
05/07/2003 at 18:55
LOL
05/07/2003 at 19:02
Hey, dont knock it till you've tried it

;-)
05/07/2003 at 22:49
To stop them stinking the house out put a tumble drier sheet (like Bounce) in each, remember to remove before next run....

I know you shouldn't, but I put my off road in the washing machine, ankle deep in pig s**t in an event last year, it was the only option.
Monique    pirate
05/07/2003 at 22:50
If my shoes are wet through to anyway I stick them under the tap and scrub them with a vegetable scrubbing brush from Ikea bought for this purpose, stuff them with newspaper and leave to dry- of course it takes a few days so I would have more than one pair.
06/07/2003 at 14:14
I leave mud on, stuff paper inside & bang mud off when dry. At least that's the plan occ get left in plastic bag for 2 days. Not nice!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.