Cold is goooood

brrrr

21 to 40 of 91 messages
29/10/2008 at 20:40

I too am a winter running supporter - so much better getting in some good base mileage over the winter months. Cold crisp air - quiet streets, its bliss.

Its my friends and family who get on my nerves trying to put me off.

1 "its too cold out there - you'll catch your death"

2. "its too dangerous for a women to be running alone in the dark"

3 "You'll get knocked over - drivers cant see you"

4. "you cant see where you are running"

They get on my wick with it

OJO
29/10/2008 at 20:42

I like my warm bed a lot too LadyBee, it's a bit of a needs-must thing at the moment. I have to say it was not a very impressive running performance, it was the actually getting out there that was impressive....

Well done Wendy, sounds like you're improving. 

29/10/2008 at 20:46
Running this afternoon and it was chilly but not cold enough for tights.  Having said that, my legs didn't feel they got up to running temp and sucking down lungfulls of cold air, especially when trucks pass, is not a lot of fun.  My only real concern with the colder weather is ice on the paths, no fun and increases the chances for injuries.
29/10/2008 at 20:55

Winters fine if you are lucky enough to get out in the daylight, but if not it means pavements and busy roads which is my idea of hell - give me the warm summer evenings and off road anytime ..although a lovely bright sunny autumn/winter day is lovely but they usually happen when im stuck indoors at work

Hopefully we might get a a full moon and some snow ..now that would be good ! 

OJO
29/10/2008 at 21:23

Granted there are some safety concerns to running in winter but they're nothing that decent street lighting/ a torch, reflective clothing and common sense can't fix. Unless it is icy....

Dula Heritage...that sounds very annoyin. The "but you're a woman" argument especially. My rule is that I won't run (alone) anywhere I wouldn't walk at the same time of day.

29/10/2008 at 21:29
I'm a fairly recent returnee to running - but being up on the moors early this morning, minus one degree, sunny, only a slight breeze, just me and my dawg - well, it was great. I found the recently churned but now frozen mud to be a bit of an ankle turner, but it's a laugh running along wondering wether the frozen bog/puddle will support your weight or (frequently!) not. It was really great, and if I wasn't working tonight, I'd be up there again tomorrow early.
29/10/2008 at 22:02

I did my first run in tights and gloves today and loved that nip in the air.  I got home and was warm as toast, but not bathed in sweat.  I am really enjoying crunching through leaves at the moment, as I had six long weeks in the gym this time last year, and basically missed autumn.

To be honest one of the (many) things I really love about running is the different seasons.  I don't like running when it is very hot/humid, but I love the long summer evenings, the crunchy leaves, the rain, the crisp frosts, the sunshine, the stars.  I love the smells of flowers in the summer evenings, dampness in the autumn, and just feeling the different air temperatures.....  I ran in a thunder strorm once and that was great (but a bit scary).  I have run when  it was dark and snowing, and loved looking at the snow flakes swirling down in the light of the street lights.  I had a great run once when I saw a stunning double rainbow.......
I HATE the gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29/10/2008 at 22:14
Ladybee - I wish I could run in the morning but I just can't get my body going. I so wish I could but I can't
31/10/2008 at 10:40
Just toooo cold today for my poor nose
31/10/2008 at 10:55

Big yay to cold but sunny, big NO to cold & wet... 

Cant wait to try out all my new long sleeved tops & fab running jacket, have only been managing to get to the gym just lately so no need for layering...  But this sunday could be MY day...

Lwi
31/10/2008 at 12:01
Orion R Beanie wrote (see)
Just toooo cold today for my poor nose

Wish I just had a sore nose.

Yesterday I annihilated my nipples in the freezing rain, I thought they were better today so I went out again...  someone remind me again why god put nipples on men?

Lwi
04/11/2008 at 21:33
No such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes.
04/11/2008 at 22:50
Wet feet I have yet to avoid by wearing the right clothes
05/11/2008 at 09:29
I prefer to run in the cold weather because it means I don't get loads of sweat running in to my eyes.
05/11/2008 at 09:42

Yesterday - my first 'off road' run in ages - loved it. Finally dry enough (after the wet summer) to run in the woods.

The evenings are really drawing in now, so it's going to be running in the dark from now on (apart from the sunday am run). I agree with Dual Heritage - my other half thinks the dark, temperatures below 10 degrees, a slight breeze or drizzle are reasons not to run - nevermind he spent 15 years playing rugby in all sorts of weather!

Back on subject - prefer running in Sept / Oct and early spring - love temperatures between 12 - 15 degrees. If it's too cold it takes ages to warm up, and any warmer than say 17 degrees and I find it a bit too hot to run fast / for too long.

That said, my best run this year was last Easter when there was light snow in parts of uk - ran along Hastings prom just as the sun was starting to set and the snow flakes were falling.

05/11/2008 at 10:40
Much prefer winter running and as many have said seem to run much faster on the dark cold winter nights ...don't go along with this theory that winter running is good base training for good summer times ...seems to be the other way round for me ...struggle through the hot summer runs so that I feel the benefit on the cold winter runs.
05/11/2008 at 13:32

I love winter running and fleece-lined tights and gloves make morning runs at 5.45 so much more bearable.

On the running safety for women, if I am running alone, I always take some sort of ID with me in case I am injured or in an accident.  I also wear a hi-viz vest and have a light on the back of my rucksack for running in the early mornings/evenings as I had a few close shaves last year with cyclists on the pavements of London which can also be used as cycle lanes. 

05/11/2008 at 13:39
Not to mention at least a tenner for a taxi home
06/11/2008 at 17:15

Runner-bean, I couldn't have put it better myself. One of my favourite things about running is the chance to get outside and really appreciate my surroundings and the changing seasons.

I also like running in cold weather. If it's warm in summer I find that I just get too hot and bothered, whereas I'm always lovely and toasty when I go out in my gloves when it's cold. At this time of year there are some lovely sights too; the colours of the leaves on the trees at the moment are stunning.

07/11/2008 at 10:14
Actually the only bad weather for running is when you can't stay on your feet. As long as there is variety I am happy.
21 to 40 of 91 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.