Cold is goooood

brrrr

41 to 60 of 91 messages
11/11/2008 at 10:45
It has never been too cold for me, yet, to go running. The coldest has been -14... it's just a matter of wearing the right thing. Ice is the thing that stops me.
11/11/2008 at 11:30
Northern lights - I now have the Super Furry Animals song in my head thanks to your user name - I haven't heard it in ages, so thanks
11/11/2008 at 11:51
Kosie Jelly wrote (see)
Northern lights - I now have the Super Furry Animals song in my head thanks to your user name - I haven't heard it in ages, so thanks

you'll want something different for the weekend.

Looking forward to heading out at lunchtime, weather looks perfect here.

11/11/2008 at 11:52
I prefer running in this cold weather! I sweat WAY too much in the summer. Always stick to shorts and t-shirt too. None of this tights malarky! The only things that get cold are my hands so may have to invest in some gloves.
11/11/2008 at 14:03

id rather run when its cold than when its warm, no matter what the weather is i need to run in shorts, i just feel better when im cold.

Edited: 11/11/2008 at 14:03
11/11/2008 at 21:08
Running in the cold is great until you stop and then the sweat pours and pours but it is great running now it is cooler.
12/11/2008 at 14:25
Had a wonderful 5-mile run last night.
Perfect cold, dark evening with just a little breeze. Moon was peeking out from wispy clouds.

Had on my tights, t-shirt with reflective base layer on top and gloves, so was lovely and warm.

Much prefer it to summer evening running. Summer mornings are ok though – as long as the heat hasn't built up.
12/11/2008 at 17:39
Kosie Jelly wrote (see)
You're welcome!  Actually I had the real thing, Aurora Borealis, in mind and not the Super Furry Animals
JF
12/11/2008 at 21:17

You lot must be mad. 

I'll soon be running in sub zero temperatures, max temp tomorrow is -3 and I think -15C was the lowest I ran in last year.  Three layers top and bottom with your sweat freezing on the inside of the windproof outer jacket, wearing icebugs or spiked overshoes because of the ice.  No thanks I'd swap it any day for the 30+ degrees I used to run in.

Saying that I still think Spring / Autumn in the UK is about the best temperature for running.

12/11/2008 at 21:55
I went for a run last year and it started snowing!  What a lovely feeling having snowflakes melt and tickle my nose!  A surreal and memorable experience!  I really loved it!  Much better than sweating it out in the midday sun, which I try to avoid at all costs!
13/11/2008 at 00:15
Winter's night running for me anyday (or night !)
13/11/2008 at 01:05
Running is the only thing that gets me through thw winter without going mad..I hate the dark mornings and nights...and the cold...unless I am running.. all my pbs have been set while freeeezzzzzzing !!!!
13/11/2008 at 03:24
It's always summer in the gym!
13/11/2008 at 11:36
I'm determined to carry on running through this winter for the 1st time, as I usually give up about now. Can anyone tell me what sort of gloves to wear as the ones I have been wearing make my hands too hot within about 15 minutes? And why do people wear hats doesn't it make your head too hot unless follicularly challenged?
13/11/2008 at 11:38
as a follicularly challenged person I'd have to say it's better as it traps the hot air closer to your head, maybe
13/11/2008 at 16:44
half cockney wrote (see)
Can anyone tell me what sort of gloves to wear as the ones I have been wearing make my hands too hot within about 15 minutes? And why do people wear hats doesn't it make your head too hot unless follicularly challenged?
I take my gloves off when my hands get too hot - I either hold them in the other hand or stuff them in my pockets. If it is really windy, I'll have to put them on again. Why a hat? My ears and forehead get cold. And nothing could make me wear a headband, I look ridiculous with one - not that a beanie suits anyone.
13/11/2008 at 19:40
Wear a headband, grow a moustache and you could get into a tv advert...
14/11/2008 at 10:50
I really agree, I love running in the cold weather, and I don't mind the rain either. Makes me feel so much more energised. Summer running is dire, I am not a hot weather person at all. (Good thing I live in England...) xx
14/11/2008 at 13:33

Temperature is not really an issue for me. Hot, cold, warm - it's all good.

The one thing I can't stand is WIND. Rain is fine and even refreshing - it is the wind I can't stand, especially that energy sapping feeling of running into the teeth of it.

14/11/2008 at 17:53

I agree - wind is the worst!!! I used to be a fair-weather runner and would never have dreamed of running after dark but I joined a friendly running club and that helps me keep motivated over the winter months and safe after dark.

41 to 60 of 91 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.