Congrats to Paula!

The Girl done good!

21 to 37 of 37 messages
14/10/2002 at 07:47
Don't worry, if you ask me she's virtually won it already with the FLM win, let alone yesterday's world record.

Beckham has acheived nowt this year, so can't see him winning it. That Greece goal was used to push his case for last year's award. It was about the 6th free kick he'd had that game so it was about time he'd got one on target!

Cheers,
Not a Man U Tractor (despite the colour).
14/10/2002 at 09:03
Sports Personality of the Year - some one organised with a calender post a message here to remind everyone to vote for Paula when the time comes! I've a job remembering to tie my laces before heading out of the door - and I've got those elastic ones! ;-)
WildWill    pirate
14/10/2002 at 09:07
All I can say is ... WOW!!
14/10/2002 at 09:50
Can't believe I missed the live coverage due to being at work.

Watched the finish on the news and damn nearly cried. There just aren't enough superlatives to describe what she's achieved this year, and I'm willing to bet there's more to come.
14/10/2002 at 11:38
A quickie. Anyone know why Paula (wanw) wears those socks. Why dont they cut her circulation off?
14/10/2002 at 11:44
Apparently she reckons they support her calves/achilles and actually improve circulation as they keep the calves warm.

Given her performance, I'm not going to question whether or not she's right.

Before the megabucks Nike deal she just used ordinary black knee socks, I see she's now in some flesh coloured hi-tech support thingies - I'm suprised Nike hasn't launched some kind of specific running-support-sock-as-used-by.
14/10/2002 at 12:11

Come on, we all know Fraudley Harrison's going to be SPOTY. The BBC are paying him a fortune - it's in their interests to promote him as hard as they can. And when he wins his next fight, he'll be a cert. And his next fight is against a really tough competitor - Beppo The Clown from Billy Smart's Circus.

Erm, OK, maybe not....

I think Sam Torrance could be in the running, and would at least be someone who would deserve it if he did win (though Paula should by rights be the winner).

14/10/2002 at 13:13
Paula - superb and a lovely person. She was absolutely wonderful on the Friday after FLM when Lloyd finally came in, she was signing autographs and chatting to everyone.

Sam who?

4x4xFinch - does the problem with your stretchy laces explain your x-country performance??
14/10/2002 at 13:44
Womble,

O ye of little faith, if only it was my stretchy laces that could be blamed for my x-country "performance" at Epsom. I put it down to chronic under-training, a host of as yet not fully healed injuries and being a slow runner! When I say I like off road running, I mean just that, not some *kin stupid mad Cavalry charge across Epsom Downs

See ya at da Club..
14/10/2002 at 15:52
I watched Paula both live and the reruns, and I did cry! Yippee, my sport, my hero all being made much of!
Monique    pirate
14/10/2002 at 17:28
Fantastic achievement, just wish someone would shut Brendan Foster up, complete silence would be preferable to his senseless prattle.
14/10/2002 at 18:33
The problem is is that for lengthy periods (whisper) not a lot happens so Brendan and Steve Cram start on their lengthy dialogues about who does and doesnt support Sunderland etc,etc. If they're not careful, they are going to end up like the fruitcake who covers the Tour de France on Eurosport. But to be fair, if anyone has a right to prattle, it has to be Brendan and Steve.
16/10/2002 at 19:05
I've just got back from Chicago where I stayed at the hotel next to the Hilton. Monday morning we celebrated with breakfast at the Hilton. And guess who sat next to us?! She was with two of her (male) entourage but no hubby. I couldn't miss the opportunity to say how proud we all were of her performance and ask how she felt (she said 'not too bad' - which was a lot better than I felt!). But she'd not been recognised so I didn't want to bother her further, and we left her alone after that.

The icing on an already fabulous weekend, as far as I was concerned.
16/10/2002 at 22:22
I also just back from Chicago - must have stayed at same hotel as Mike above. The Brits there were walking around with an extra special swagger (limp) in their step in the reflected glory.

One of the best moments for me was the absolutely fantastic reception that Paula got from several thousand (mostly American) runners at the post-race party. She shook many hands and signed loads of autographs.

The marathon itself must be the best in the world (sorry London). A well organised exhibition in a very spacious venue, a well attended Saturday morning fun run, a sit-down pasta party (both the latter with guest appearances from Paul Evans and Steve Jones), a great post-race party, in addition to a good flat course with spectators in hundreds of thousands. Even things I find niggly in London, such as recording chip times at the start and not having the year on the number (a sad complaint but when you have several marathon photos how do you know which year it comes from?).

All this with a rousing selection of music blasting out at the start (Bruce Springsteen Born to Run) - much better than the traditional FLM dirge.

I even managed to run 10 minutes better than I expected. Looking forward to going back again.
17/10/2002 at 11:01
The wonam is just super human! I just can't believe that after running such an amazing time she could stand let alone talk to the TV! She seemed as if she'd just run for the bus! That'll show my mother who said women can't run marathons!
Monique    pirate
18/10/2002 at 16:19
Yeah that Kanouchi bloke was lying on the floor crying, mind you I think she should have punched a photographer or something THEN she would have made the front page of the Guardian sport, instead we had the "treat" of some Sven Goran- England night of shame blah blah blah nonsense.
19/10/2002 at 10:35
Paula was magnificent (is that spelt right) again I have also never voted for SPOTY but will do this year

I just wish i had an ounce of her talent

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.