Couch 2 5k as a family?

8 messages
28/12/2013 at 10:05

My husband needs to lose some weight and get active. My children are healthy weight and reasonably active but not sporty. As they get older and playing no longer involves running around like mad things, I can see their activity levels tailing off. I am a keen runner, running 5 times a week, racing often and other strength/flexibility sessions around improving my running.

I was thinking that we could do Couch to 5k together. There's a local 5k run on Good Friday that we could aim for.

When my husband has tried to run in the past (IMO) he tries to do too much too soon and has to stop because of painful knees etc. I thought doing it with the kids would make him stick to the programme!

So, my questions are:

- Is it sensible for boys aged 10 & 12 to follow such a programme?

- How would doing that, in addition to my regular schedule, affect my running?

Any tips for selling it to the children would be appreciated. Husband is quite keen, children not so much. I'm hoping to podcasts might do it - they usually have very limited access to electronic gadgets but realise I may be clutching at straws!

seren nos    pirate
28/12/2013 at 11:13

if the kids aren't interested then you are going to find it hard going.....making it part of a family challenge might work....have you looked if there are any parkruns near you....lots of kids do them and they get sent times..maybe you could just do one .and afterwards tell them there is a challenge to who can take the most time improvements in 3 months.....

28/12/2013 at 11:32

Obviously a brilliant idea Freddy. If your children don't like the idea don't push them too hard as they might resent you for it. 

I'd probably focus on the hubby first as it sounds like he wants to but because of injury stopped. As seren has said, the park run idea is perfect for this. Get out there with them all and see if they like it. 

28/12/2013 at 12:28

Why not ask your children what they'd like to do?  They might not want to start running but might be keen to try something else.

28/12/2013 at 14:05

LOL - Cinders I hadn't thought of that!  X-Box or Facebook...

Thank you seren and Ja5on those are great ideas.

28/12/2013 at 15:34
Edited: 28/12/2013 at 15:41
28/12/2013 at 22:47
The zombies run 5k training app might make it more interesting. I haven't tried it myself so can't comment on how good it is.
29/12/2013 at 02:19

Need to make it fun, in some way, for the kids.  60s jog, 90s walk is not that much fun.,, when repeated eight times, especially if you choose the roads around an industrial estate to do it!

• Don't make it so regimented for them...  let them improvise... but still with the end target of that 5K run, so it doesn't  completely lose focus.
  • One game can be as follows....   give child A  a watch.  Let them run together slightly independently of you... 50yds ahead. Child B has to guess when the 60s and 90s periods are up, without the use of  a watch.  Then swap roles, and see who is closest.   This game can develop over the next few intervals, and indeed as the programme develops through the weeks.
  • If you have a gps watch, you can get them trying to see who can run closest to, say, 12 minute per mile pace...  or other pace games.
  • Maybe find some interesting woodland to do all this... so when the 20ish minutes of running is over, you can do some exploring together...  so it feels more of an outing than just a run
  • A treat in a cafe afterwards is always a good bribe.

good luck.  hope it works out.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.