Crazy runs before work?

1 to 20 of 24 messages
24/06/2004 at 12:44
Who believes in dulling the pain of work by doing a braindead inducing run beforehand?

Did a 12miler this morning, and it works a treat?

Anyone better my feat?
24/06/2004 at 12:49
Loads of peeps run in the morning for the opposite reason. What's happened to your endorphins?
JJ
24/06/2004 at 12:58
they don't work after 12 miles do they sonny!It's slow release after that distance
24/06/2004 at 21:54
When I was working away last year I used to run for an hour at 5.15am, then do a 14 hour day. Only did it for a week, but my god that was tough.
25/06/2004 at 11:50
I often run the dogs 5 miles round the woods, home for brekkie and then the 4 miles into work and then run home at the end.

Not he same as 12 miles 1st thing - that sounds silly!
ip(FeS2)    pirate
25/06/2004 at 11:56
Quite often run 16, used to do up to 18, but I have to be at my desk for 9 now.-
Feel great all day afterwards though :-)
25/06/2004 at 12:03
i usually do 2-3 hours running or cycling or both of a morning

its great, but i keep a pack of pro plus by the bedside to help overcome my natural laziness when the alarm rings
25/06/2004 at 12:05
I ran into work this morning - feeling pleasantly sleepy now - I don't need to think to do my job so it's not a problem. I wouldn't recommended for Air Traffic Controllers and such like though!
25/06/2004 at 12:20
literally? you ran headfirst into the side of the building? that's a bit dangerous. you OK?
25/06/2004 at 12:32
I shall treat that remark with the contempt it deserves -

....you coming to Doggetts tonight? you're not on the list.
25/06/2004 at 13:52
All depends on the days work/training schedule.

If the lunchtime includes a "beasting" with my training partner then no run. Otherwise I will run into work (and back in the evening) if I don't need the car; alternatively a pre-breakfast run of anything up to 10 miles.

Tends to be better to train before work no that I don't have to drive for an hour down the M1 to get to work.

I know what DD means about feeling brain dead - Tuesday did a 7 mile before breakfast, straight into a 1 hour meeting at 8:30 and then a 7 hour meeting at 10:00. Double expressos needed at several points of the day.
25/06/2004 at 15:38
I run before work quite often. It's a great way to wake yourself up, and if you can get in regular good mileage in the morning, when it comes to marathon training it's easy to boost the total mileage considerably by adding evening runs as well.
If you didn't run in the morning you'd probably waste the time by just staying in bed longer anyway.
25/06/2004 at 15:54
Stay in bed = waste - don't get it ?
27/06/2004 at 20:28
My office opperates flexi time so really I should be able to find it easy to do longer runs at relatively normal times, but it eats into my 37 hours a week I have to do so am starting to think early morning runs are the way forward.

However, even being out the door shortly after 5am, I still only have time for about an hours run or so. The first time I did a 5am run I felt much better than I did the day before when I was suffering badly from lack of sleep. Euphoria of having done 5 or 6 miles before others have even opened their eyes is a buzz to keep me going all day!
27/06/2004 at 20:56
I will run before work as many mornings as possible. Anything between 6 and 12 miles. I take it very easy though.

As Brunswick says, its easy milage. 30 or 40 odd miles racked up every week at the best time of the day. Add this to weekend running, club nights and the odd lunchtime plod as well and you can get up to 60 to 70 miles a week.

And that is good training.
27/06/2004 at 21:17
At the moment I am doing all my runs before work, approximately 5 milers. However I am not sure what I will do when winter comes along and it starts getting dark.
27/06/2004 at 21:40
Yes, the dark mornings/evenings are going to be a concern to me too. I might have to get my gym to open super early for me!

Hat, gloves, jumper and longjohns are fine to combat the acompanying temperature but what about the (irrational?) worry of running in the dark?
28/06/2004 at 16:39
don't worry too much about running in the dark, i actually never run on the roads in the summer coz i dont like people looking at me, the main road in and out of the place i live is a dual carriageway with a cycle path, and very few pedestrians or runners use it. at least in the dark no one can see me, but i do miss the woods/beach/trails!
on a dark morning there's not usually many people about, stick to a route you know, perhaps with a few places on the way that make you feel safe e.g newsagents, 24hr garage/supermarket, or do shorter loops that go near your home. when it gets really cold you have to watch the air and your throat, but apart from that there's not much to worry about. otherwise, run in the evening with a club. good luck!
28/06/2004 at 21:09
I thought I would suffer more than I do with cold air and running. I have been ok so far (but only been running outside for 3 months so the weather hasn't been too cold).

How do you avoid the chill on the lungs - breath through a scarf? Perhaps this should be on a different thread.
30/06/2004 at 13:40
I got up at 5:30 this morning to run a 4 miler.
Can't see it lasting once the winter set in !!!!
1 to 20 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.