cycling and running

4 messages
24/08/2012 at 13:50
Does cycling help Distance running or just burn you out and what is the right balance
24/08/2012 at 13:58

I guess it all depends on your aims and what intensities you do them at

take Ironman triathletes as an example - swim, then 180km bike followed by a marathon.  for the top male pros they will (course dependant) knock that bike leg off in under 5 hrs and will then knock out a sub-3 marathon.  but they are trained for those intensities and you'll probably find that their stand alone marathons are probably around 2:15 - 2:30 so not hugely faster  

my best for those is a 5:30 bike followed by a 4:54 marathon - my marathon PB is sub-4.  so quite a big run difference time.   so for your average person, cycling does affect run speeds if the 2 are combined.

but otherwise, yes, cycling will help your running overall as it's another form of exercise with benefits as it's non-load bearing so less detrimental to most.   but it's getting the balance right that's key and it takes time to get to know what works

Edited: 24/08/2012 at 13:58
24/08/2012 at 15:58
Apparently cycling helps running but running doesn't help cycling... Don't know where or when I heard that but it certainly holds true for me!
24/08/2012 at 16:21

I've always found it a lot easier to run after cycling long distance to the other way around, I think running puts a lot more strain on you muscles!

www.tri-addicts.com

Edited: 24/08/2012 at 16:23

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.