Daily discussion: Trail running

21 to 34 of 34 messages
14/06/2013 at 19:07
Teresa Lovern wrote (see)

Does anyone live south of Bristol? I live in the Chew Valley, which is beautiful, but there are loads of fields (some with cows) rather than open spaces.  I'd love to run over the Mendips but worry about getting lost miles from the car!

It's called a map and compass, failing that you could invest in gps navigation then you'll know exactly where you are. it's not a big problem getting lost and it'll improve your endurance no end.

14/06/2013 at 21:04

thanks for the advice - I've got a garmin watch but haven't got to grips with the navigation on it - do you know if that would be OK ? 

17/06/2013 at 00:26

Just love the trails. Mostly race cross country and trails these days. A nice rural road course tempts me at times but no more city centre races. Why? Variety, lovely scenary, views, great atmosphere to these type of races as well.

Training as well, south Downs the Weald, the coast, superb. Try the top of the South Downs as it goes into twighlight. All thoses twingly lights towards the coast.

Thanks Mrs. Hog-Mousey for the vote on "The Milland". Try our new event at South Harting. Not as "traily as the Milland" but more lovely views.

17/06/2013 at 12:30

Maybe it's being a country born lad, but lived in towns for most of my adult life. Started running in the last 10% of my life with a city half.

But give me off road any day. live on the edge of a town with country 5 mins north & south. Another runner with dogs, the animals you can see before anyone else has been there to scare them into hiding, the views. I just love hills & mud. Joined a club and got into XC over the last few winters. The closest I get to a road race these days is Snowdon Mara. But only 'cause of the location and it does have a little bit of off road.

17/06/2013 at 13:19

South Downs? Pah. Purbeck hills in Dorset. Over the Sandbanks ferry, along the beach, up past Old Harry Rocks, Ballard Down, views towards Bmth/Poole one way and Swanage the other side. Back down to the ferry past the Agglesone rock. Perfect, and a stock hard Sunday run for years for the local athletics clubs.

Only joking about the Sth Downs..been there too. Very nice

Trail is just cross country to me though. Old skool

17/06/2013 at 14:29

Sheffield is great for this - from city centre to peak district is only a matter of a couple of miles and there are many parks and green spaces that you can link together for some great very accessible trail running. We organise the Sheffield Tententen 10k race which tries to embody this.... having fun on your door step by using a blend of the trails terrain and scenery. www.sheffield10k.com - its on the 13th of October this year - in its 4th year and normally has around 1000 competing.... we've found that trail running has minimised our injuries too over the last few years.... and its a lot more fun!

18/06/2013 at 18:07

I live in NE Scotland and I am totally spoilt for choice ... straight out of the back door into the heath and onto the Moray Coastal Trail (sand, shale, beach - tide permitting), forest trail; travel about 20 minutes inland I get to run beside the Findhorn River which is like a massive gorge in places so quite undulating OR I can head up onto the moors above Dava for some proper hilly running on the grouse shooting tracks. I think those are my three favourite local runs, 50 minutes takes me to Aviemore and Glenmore and some proper mountain trails too, or Dava Way or Speyside Way. As I said, spoilt for choice!

18/06/2013 at 23:30

just about big enough hills on the South Downs Mr. Coombes but like um bigger elsewhere! Down your way for The Beast in September. Looking forward to the scenary and those steps on the coast. I'm a fan of The Stickler as well.

Just so much good trails in this country!

24/06/2013 at 18:50

AHH! Everywhere I go is hills. I'm sure it is good for me!

27/06/2013 at 14:31

Last year, what with all the rain, off-road wasn't much fun; mud!!  I'm lucky enough to live in the Wye Valley and often run one side of the Wye, up the Wye Valley Walk, then at some point cross the Wye, and run back home following the Offa's Dyke Walk.

So far I've built upto doing a 20 mile round trip; just about all of it is off-road; but I plan to try to get as far as Monmouth which would work out as about 35 miles.

It's a pity my dog is old; that'd kill him.

28/06/2013 at 13:39
Tom Frost wrote (see)

just about big enough hills on the South Downs Mr. Coombes but like um bigger elsewhere! Down your way for The Beast in September. Looking forward to the scenary and those steps on the coast. I'm a fan of The Stickler as well.

Just so much good trails in this country!

Ah the Stickler! Done it just the once. Just about managed to run all the way up Hod Hill. You need to keep your forward momentum!!

Have fun...

29/06/2013 at 07:25

I'm lucky to live less than a mile from the Gwydir Forest - just back from a very enjoyable hour run around the various forestry trails - unfortunately I won't be there next week when the world trail championships are held there 

30/06/2013 at 15:07

Im very spoilt for trails where I am, I live about a mile from the start of the North Downs Run so do all my running off road unless I have a marathon coming up and need get some road running in my legs. Looking forward to the Bewl Water 15m next weekend as well. Stunning scenery.

02/07/2013 at 19:56
kittenkat wrote (see)

Hate off road races though generally. Give me tarmac, even footing and pace, and well marshalled if you want a race rather than a run.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's the polar opposite for me

I tolerate road, as 'mileage'/training for the rough-stuff (or running to/from work, when too dark to run through the woods/along the river banking)

Happiest in a fell-race, something like the Woodentops events (ie; 'Withins SkyLine'/'Stanbury Splash')
Unlike tarmac, you've got to think about every step & where your feet are going

http://woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=withins&subtopic=home

Re; 'Sheffield Banksy'

Have you tried the Trunces at Oxspring??

Short fast, races, run under 'FRA' regulations, & dirt-cheap to enter @ £1.20 per race!!!!

No prizes, just lots of fun, including fording the River Don 3 times!!!!! (in 4 miles)
We can see 250+ runners on a Monday evening!!!
Next race on 15th July

http://www.undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/

Edited: 02/07/2013 at 20:01

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.