Daily discussion: Trail running

1 to 20 of 34 messages
07/06/2013 at 11:32

I'm a massive fan of getting out of the city and onto the trails at the weekend and running watch-less up and down hills amongst trees. It's when I am happiest. 

Do you enjoy the trail and if so tell us about your favourite trail runs and races. We're always on the lookout for new running destinations.  

07/06/2013 at 11:40

I love to run all over Martin Downs (sp6 3lp) so quiet and peaceful and lots of hills for good trainingPeleus you never know what you will see, I have had dee. Run along past me, barn owls fly past me, snakes basking in the sun. I am truly lucky tot have this on my door step! 

07/06/2013 at 11:48

The South Downs is on my doorstep and its a privilege to explore. The 100 mile South Downs Relay was last weekend and a fabulous trail run!

07/06/2013 at 12:10

Lunchtime run yesterday up Porter Brook in Sheffield was stunning. Accessible, shaded from the midday sun, and given enough time, you can get out to the peak district.

07/06/2013 at 12:54

I live in Northwich now.

only just started running but trails is the place for me. Lots of decent trails (IMO) just outside the town centre plus Marbury country park and canals.

so peaceful first thing in the morning when the rabbits are still out before the dog walkers and cyclists scare them off.

Herons, Buzzards, Swans and all sorts of bird life abounds.

07/06/2013 at 13:05
I've got the Clarendon Way and the Monarchs Way very near me. I'll have to check out Martin Downs as it can't be that far from me.
07/06/2013 at 13:24

I live on the edge of the New Forest, so all possble runs are on the trails there - at the moment, I usually run there with my 4 month old in the buggy for 6 - 8 miles - she's as happy out there as I am (possibly happier on the hills!!).  Also did the RW Trailblazer in the Forest of Dean a couple of years back, and that was beautiful!  Any plans for a trailblazer in the New Forest? 

07/06/2013 at 13:51

Bewl Water and Bedgebury Forest are my current training grounds, with SDW joining in shortly, and also some bridleways from work back across country to home soon.

When you have such beautiful coutryside around, why run on roads!

Same routes over winter at night are well worth the effort too, the same coutryside takes on a very different personality after dark 

Recently there have been so many newborn geese & ducks, loads of rabbits squirrels, deer, heron.

Edited: 07/06/2013 at 13:52
07/06/2013 at 14:09
CheesyRider - Born to be Mild wrote (see)

Bedgebury Forest are my current training grounds

Will you be doing the Bedgebury trailblazer tomorrow? It's my first 10k and I'm really nervous but looking forward to running there. I used to work and ride my horses through the forest everyday and love it there. Especially this time of year!

07/06/2013 at 14:25

I used to while away the miles through the countryside in rural Lincolnshie, which wilst a little flat and (dare I say) boring, was at least very peaceful. Have done some running in North Wales too which was much more interesting and very pretty 

07/06/2013 at 14:30
GingerG wrote (see)
CheesyRider - Born to be Mild wrote (see)

Bedgebury Forest are my current training grounds

Will you be doing the Bedgebury trailblazer tomorrow? It's my first 10k and I'm really nervous but looking forward to running there. I used to work and ride my horses through the forest everyday and love it there. Especially this time of year!

Was going to up until about a month ago, but have had to change my plans  so now cant. Missed the cranbrook Tri last week for same reason 

Have a good race Ginger and enjoy yourself! the forest is looking awesome at the moment! 

Are you local then?

Edited: 07/06/2013 at 14:30
07/06/2013 at 14:38

Sorry to hear you can't be there tomorrow! It's such a shame seeing as you're so close, but I find life gets in the way of all the fun stuff far too often! 

I'm in Ashford, but I used to work at a couple of equestrian centres around Bedgebury, so spent as much time as I possibly could in the forest. I love that area of Kent!

07/06/2013 at 14:41

Lots of good trails in The New Forest, Hampshire.

08/06/2013 at 09:47

South Downs is on my doorstep. Do at least one hilly run over the Downs during the week.

Have a great wood over the road where I run all the time. Lots of ins and outs, have run 15 miles through those woods. 

I like to get on my bike and cycle out somewhere then run.

Favourite trail race is Milland Valley.

09/06/2013 at 17:06

I live on the Cotswold Way so there are some brilliant footpaths and bridlepaths beginning directly outside my house. The scenery is fantastic and there's lots of variation between hills, fields, forests, national park. I feel very lucky!

10/06/2013 at 11:59

We live in the middle of the Peak National Park and, despite the name, there are lots of lovely flat trails.  My other passion is wildflowers so there is always something new about to flower to get me out of the door to find it  -  saw some orchids the other day!

The White Peak half marathon, run in May (and marathon but I don't do that) is absolutely beautiful and I love getting to the start on the bus with all of the visiting runners talking about how pretty it is and thinking 'I live here'

10/06/2013 at 19:39

Another fan of the South Downs here. I have the Seven Sisters next to me along with Friston Forest and I love it Being taken to the Peak District next month for some Fell Running fun.

This is why I run on trails 

Herbi

Edited: 10/06/2013 at 19:41
12/06/2013 at 10:16

One of my favourite races would be the Oslo forest marathon coming up this Saturday. It is really easy to get to by public transport from the airport and there seem to be quite a few Brits going this year.

13/06/2013 at 22:08

Does anyone live south of Bristol? I live in the Chew Valley, which is beautiful, but there are loads of fields (some with cows) rather than open spaces.  I'd love to run over the Mendips but worry about getting lost miles from the car!

14/06/2013 at 14:13

I am lucky to live in Scotland - love nothing more that slipping my Inov8 255's on, UltrAspire vest and hit some local trails - local and further away. Really spoilt for choice.

1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.