Dehydration - A scary experience

Let's be careful out there...

9 messages
02/07/2003 at 11:26
This Sunday i'll be running a local 10k (Crown Schools) where two year's ago on a very hot day i collapsed with dehydration a couple of hundred yards from the finishing line. All i can remember is trying to scramble up over a garden fence and then being surrounded by paramedics & St John's ambulance bods. I was convinced i was running on a towpath miles way.I spent a couple of hours in observation at the local hospital and can only describe the experience as weird - feelings of disembodyment and very temporary amnesia.
Since then (including last year's race) i've always been well hydrated before races and never miss a water station.
Anybody else suffered ?
02/07/2003 at 11:29
bl**dy hell!
02/07/2003 at 11:32
Yeah not pleasant but a salutary lesson. Like the saying goes...'you always think it's going to happen to someone else'.
02/07/2003 at 11:39
Ironically, it did!

;-)
cougie    pirate
02/07/2003 at 11:54
WOw ! That's awful ! I wouldn't have thought you could lose so much on just a 10k.

I did Wilmslow Half this year, and it was warm. Caught lots of people out and the paramedics were swamped with people.
02/07/2003 at 12:05
That was my big mistake - thinking it's only a 10k. Not much water beforehand and missed the water station; that and racing it hard chasing the elusive PB on a scorching day.
05/07/2003 at 15:26
Mango dehydration is really bad!
But not as bad as having a really bad picture of you put in the local paper!
If you must start at the front remember to look cool and composed, Not like the hunchback of Notredame.
05/07/2003 at 15:30
I must confess that I never take drink for a 10k. Always feel that I can get away with running for 35 mins without it. May change my mind now!
05/07/2003 at 17:23
Before a race I always drink loads in the days leading upto it. Even for a 10k I'll be drinking 1-2 litres of water a day. I've never had to take a drink with me for a 10k, but do make use of the water stations on hot days.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.