Did you start running in 1993?

21 to 23 of 23 messages
24/07/2013 at 16:25

Thanks for getting in touch LTS.

So guys, I know I'm a pain in the arse with all these backward-looking questions, BUT...having only been running for 10 years myself, do any of you more experienced runners remember

a) when goody bags became a thing at races, and

b) what they used to consist of?

were they cringe-makingly crap, or were they magnificently munificent?!

29/07/2013 at 07:55

I started running as my 1st sport in 1993 (ahead of London '94 - my first marathon), although I had run since school and as a compliment to football training.

Kerry's question above about goody bags reminded me of the expo for that first marathon.
I came home with bags full of free stuff given out by pretty much every stall holder at the expo, as well as picking up laughably cheap old stock of vests/t-shirts.
Now I go in, pick up my number and come straight back out again. Its a sales push exercise for all the major sports firms.

Loz
14/08/2013 at 21:46
I'm a couple of years out, started in 95, in fact my first race was the Northern XC champs, bit of a shock to the system. Nearly came last! As Dustin says goody bags then were worth having unlike now. I also think the team spirit was better then. Now people run purely for themselves, not a bad thing just different to how it was. We were all quicker as well compared with todays runners at my club anyway. As a lady vet I could go sub 40 mins for 10k no problem, we've got maybe one lady now that can do that, none of the newer runners are anywhere near. I think running is more about enjoyment now which I don't object to. It's become more a sport for all.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.