Did you start running in 1993?

1 to 20 of 23 messages
15/07/2013 at 12:51

Hello Forumites,

As many of you will have seen elsewhere on others threads we're getting together intel for our 20th Anniverdsary Edition, whihc is why we've been asking you abouyt long-standing races, and long-term subscribers and so on.

This thread is a shout-out to see if theree are any amongst you who started running specifically in 1993 - the year Running magazine became Runner's World.

If there are any of you, who would also be willing to have a quick chat on the phone about your experiences over the last 20 years, how you think running has changed and so on. Please shout me a holla here or drop me a line on kerry.mccarthy@rw.co.uk

Hope everyone's hydrating on their runs in the sun.

Kerry

15/07/2013 at 13:15

I started running in 1983 - used to buy it when it was Running Magazine.

15/07/2013 at 16:31

At this rate I wouldn't organse a reunion, Kerry - poor Grendel will be all by himself 

15/07/2013 at 16:39

I won't,  I stopped buying it when it became Runnersworld - something went missing then.

15/07/2013 at 16:49

I think 1993 may have been the year I did the interschools XC championships and it was so horrific it put me off running again till 2008.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/07/2013 at 17:17

Nope - started in 1960!

15/07/2013 at 22:54

I'm a year out. I started in 1992. But I couldn't easily compare then to now anyway as I was 11 and did completely different training and racing.

16/07/2013 at 12:35

Mont Blanc! I wish they put as much effort into being a running magazine as they seem to be doing in blowing their own trumpet at 20.

16/07/2013 at 16:29

Let's face it Kerry, this thread's gone down like a lead balloon.

I'm assuming you had people lined up to write articles about this? Perhaps you could just divert them to the IT team to help them fix the website.

16/07/2013 at 18:05

"Let's face it Kerry, this thread's gone down like a lead balloon."

Aint that the truth. but you don't ask you don't get. Finding someone/people who started specifically in 1993 was always a long shot but I thought I'd ask.

16/07/2013 at 20:35

Kerry - you should have asked what runners have seen change since 1993?

For me it would be the number of long standing road races that are no longer with us due to spiraling costs (mainly police costs for road closes). Here in the Newcastle we dearly miss the Morpeth to Newcastle (14 miles) that was held on new years day.

17/07/2013 at 07:37

I like Grendel started seriously running in 1983 and bought 'Running' Magazine.

Ironically some of the running shoes from 1983 and 1993 are being reissued as retro leisure shoes

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 07:38
17/07/2013 at 08:53

I started in 1985, and I am still taking it steady. Only 10 mins slower now for a 10K than when I started, but then again I never got very fast.

17/07/2013 at 10:57
roball wrote (see)

Kerry - you should have asked what runners have seen change since 1993?

For me it would be the number of long standing road races that are no longer with us due to spiraling costs (mainly police costs for road closes). Here in the Newcastle we dearly miss the Morpeth to Newcastle (14 miles) that was held on new years day.

Youre not the first person to say that actually. It seems it's a very dear race to many people. And the policing costs are definitely an issue.

I was talking to the RD of Hastings Half yesterday and he said in 1985 when he started, police did it for free for the PR. Now they charge thousands for even a few officers.

17/07/2013 at 12:51

Kerry, serious question rather than a p*** take, do you and your colleagues take notice of the general disquiet about the quality or content of the magazine or is there a belief that changing from a lifestyle (?) publication to one with more focus on  athletics, or at least the running part of it, would decrease the circulation?

17/07/2013 at 17:00

Running Magazine was a running magazine  that catered for the new runner and those with experience.

It had good coaching articles by the late Cliff Temple and Bruce Tulloch.

It also had cracking reports the one from Los Angeles 1984 springs to mind. Good interviews with athletes of the day such as Steve Cram, Seb Coe, Mary Decker, and it also had good historic articles

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 17:01
17/07/2013 at 18:46
GraemeK wrote (see)

Kerry, serious question rather than a p*** take, do you and your colleagues take notice of the general disquiet about the quality or content of the magazine or is there a belief that changing from a lifestyle (?) publication to one with more focus on  athletics, or at least the running part of it, would decrease the circulation?

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the question. Since you ask we not only believe that but we know it. The nationals no longer cover athletics to any great degree (the heyday of track and field, like the snooker, lies for the moment in the 80s. Not saying that won't change again but for the moment that's the way it seems to be, esp with all the global drugs scandals over the past decade), we have only two viable T&F stars: Mo and Jess, who we cover enough but not, we hope, too much.

Paula is the last of our decent marathoners. Athletics Weekly is on its knees circulation-wise and that's a great mag. But the interest does not appear to be there.

The way that running has changed in the last 25 years - from being about dedicated club runners who got heckled by van drivers, to a mass participation sport where, for most, it's about the taking part and not the winning, the explosion of big city races, obstacle races, Race For Life, big charity, adventure runs and so forth means that the way the sport is covered must inevitably change a little to reflect that.

We don't always get it right - who does? - but our remit is and always has been to be as broad a church as possible whilst aiming at a core of beginners to intermediates. I kind of agree with some of the commetns on here and other threads about it being frustrating that certain themes tend to repeat themselves, but for every subscriber who's reading a 'run your first 5k' piece for the third or fourth time, there are others that are reading it for the first time. Hopefuly elsewhere in the mag - the features section, or our newish 'Coach' section, say - older hands will find something different to engage them.

Maybe, maybe not. and when each person makes the decision that they've taken what they can from it, they move to the forums, or to another mag. And that's fine. We obviously wish they didn't and we appreciate each and every subscriber and news-stand buyer we have, esp in tough financial times, but it happens.

Contrary to what has sometimes been suggested, we don't bury our heads in the sand when it comes to reader feedback. Our small team  takes comments seriously - well, the serious, non-abusive ones anyway! - and we closely monitor circs, readership, profile of the person buying the mag, the content of the mag, the mix of themes, flavours and level of tech-speak and expertise, and then we make a decision on what we think is the best way forward to try and please the widest cross section of readers and, using the resources we have, try and implement that.

It's not going to please everyone but it's sincerely done. I was a subscriber to this mag before I even became a journalist and then years later ended up working on it - so I know what it's like to have RW drop through your door every month.

That's a snapshot of our view on things. Hopefully by this stage you'll have had the sense to bugger off to the pub and are reading this on Thursday.

Cheers

Kerry

17/07/2013 at 20:30

Waiting for it to cool down and go for a run, no pub! Great answer thank you, thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response.

18/07/2013 at 22:21

Thanks from me too, Kerry, for taking the time to respond. Afraid I only started running in 1994 - a week before Christmas to train for London 1995 (my first race!).

24/07/2013 at 14:37

I started long distance running in 1993 (previously ran the 100m sprint at school). I will be in touch. Back then I managed 1 lap of a football pitch and had to stop and walk!

1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.