Diet

Training Diet

6 messages
13/09/2013 at 10:36

Again, apologies if this in the wrong place

I am training for the London Marathon and while I am not overweight I could do with losing a little round the middle

I just wonder if I should follow a specific diet, i am already eating pasta/potatos the day before a run, or will the weight naturally drop off

I have stopped drinking alcohol until I have finished the marathon (then i intend to celebrate) and rarely eat sweets/chocolate

Any thoughts?

13/09/2013 at 10:40
A decent balanced diet should see you through ok. After a few weeks of consistent training you should start to lose a couple of pounds.
I don't think I could go without Beer for that long though. I even had a couple of pints on the night before London this year.
13/09/2013 at 11:28

Simple really just eat a balanced diet and eat a little bit less than you burn eat day. I found my fitness pal really useful. You can down load the app to a smart phone or use it online. Just be aware that people upload data which many not always be accurate. I really wanted to believe that a bottle of red wine has 250 calories

13/09/2013 at 14:49

Add up the calories in the food you're eating. (The information's on the food packaging).

See if you're near 2500 per day, or considerably more.

Edited: 13/09/2013 at 14:50
10/10/2013 at 15:07

I gave a rubbish answer here. Sorry.

Apparently what you should be doing (if you want to get mathematical) is:

1. calculate your own basal metabolic rate

2. multiply this by a factor of between 1.2 and 1.9 depending on your activity level), under Harris Benedict equasion. This will give you your daily food calorie entitlement on the assumption that you don't want to lose weight.

3. Then, since you want to lose weight, you should deduct 500 calories a day from your food entitlement if you want to lose, say, a pound of weight a week.

If you Google "basal metabolic rate" you will come up with calculators in various sites which do the calculation at 1 for you if you input your data.

10/10/2013 at 17:40

You could just move your carb intake to earlier in the day (breakfast/ lunch) and try doing some of your training at least 3-4 hours after eating. This will ensure the carbs you eat will be used and not converted to fat stores (as they ofen are when eaten late in the day), and will help the body get used to more readily accessing fat as fuelwhich will help postpone or even prevent hitting "the wall" come race day.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.