Difference between Jogging & Running

Jog & Run...Difference???

1 to 20 of 81 messages
19/12/2007 at 14:43

Is there a difference between Jogging and running...or is a jog a slow run?? LOL

It's always bothered my Father, whgo hates being called a Jogger - even at 63!!!

19/12/2007 at 14:47

Jogging suggests someone not very serious about it, whereas running suggests purpose and altheticism!

I always say running

19/12/2007 at 14:52
Runners will go out in the worst weather conditions. Joggers generally won't.
PloddingOn    pirate
19/12/2007 at 15:02

I read something that I dont' really agree with, but apparnetly technically a runner is someone who does under a 9 minute mile.

I think it's silly.  I agree with Wilkie though - runners put more into it and take it more seriously.  It's like those annoying people who go swimming in training lanes, and do a bobbing breastroke with their heads about the water so as not to wet the hair.  AND they know nothing about pool ettiquette.  Should be drowned really.  Difference between a "swimmer" and a "person in a pool"

19/12/2007 at 15:07
Jogger is a term used by non-runners for something they don't unserstand.
19/12/2007 at 15:08

I'm a runner.

Stoxy (10:30 minute miler).

19/12/2007 at 15:08
If someone saw me out on my long slow 11+m/m runs they might think I was a jogger - but I am not, I am a runner. I was out on the hills for nearly two hours on Sunday in the freezing cold wind because I have a race target in March that I want to achieve. I think we are what we want to be - I think of myself as a runner and I therefore I am. (Occasionally I am also a person in a pool)
PloddingOn    pirate
19/12/2007 at 15:10

I knew I was going to put my foot in it!! 

It's ok though - you are a runner so you can be a person in a pool...

19/12/2007 at 15:13
19/12/2007 at 15:16

I agree with PloddingOn.

I consider myself a runner but am nowhere near a 9-minute mile at the present time .  Goodness me, I go out in any weather (even 'bum-numbing' levels of cold ) and get hideously frustrated when either I'm not able to go out running or I fall short of targets I set myself (something which has happened rather a lot in recent times).  Not sure whether 'athleticism' comes into it for me, but certainly purpose.

Not sure whether I call myself a swimmer or not.  I deliberately don't go in the lanes cos I don't consider myself good enough, but I do duck my head under the water properly when doing breaststroke, and at least attempt to swim other strokes!  An infrequent swimmer perhaps as well, but I do try to take it seriously when I'm there.

19/12/2007 at 15:17

Joggers =  those suffling around without a goal.

runners = a goal of finishing in race or better PB

19/12/2007 at 15:19

On second thoughts, I am a person in a pool!

I only took up swimming because I'd sprained my ankle and couldn't run, and I only carry on with it to supplement the running.  Not enough scenery to keep me occupied.

19/12/2007 at 15:20
I'd go along with that definition TT!
PloddingOn    pirate
19/12/2007 at 15:22

Ha ha ha - oh crap I started something didn't I??  No NBS in pools though!

I get to be a runner and a swimmer.

But I am a person on a bike!

19/12/2007 at 15:28

I'm a person on a bike - or I would be if I owned one.

It's a bit like asking whether someone's a musician/singer, or just someone who does karaoke down the pub occasionally.  You don't have to be a paid professional to consider yourself the former if you take it seriously.
19/12/2007 at 15:30
I rarely swim - only on holiday, so then I am a person in a pool. Or the sea.

Another definition I've seen - if you have a race number, you are a runner.
19/12/2007 at 15:31
I'm a person who owns a bike - it gathers dust mostly ... maybe this summer ...
19/12/2007 at 15:32

Joggers, persons on bikes and persons in the pool.

Pull your finger out, a sprint tri is not that far.............

PloddingOn    pirate
19/12/2007 at 15:36
I dont' even own a bike!!! 
19/12/2007 at 15:38
Technicaly I don't own my bike on order............;)
1 to 20 of 81 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.