Dirt half - Leighton Buzzard - Saturday 16th November

17 messages
08/10/2013 at 16:14

Hi - anyone injured or can't make it & want their entry taken off their hands ? 

Have a a pal who may be intrested. 

Ta 

12/11/2013 at 14:11

Hey CowGirl: did you have any luck with that entry?

I have a spare from a bod that cannot now make it.

12/11/2013 at 15:29
Hi hubby also injured so we are sorted.

Race fully booked & I understand a few are interested. Hopefully moving this thread up you may get some takers.

It's a cracking 1/2 IMHO ... Can't wait
12/11/2013 at 17:35

I'm sure there is a thread elsewhere with a few places available

12/11/2013 at 21:27
Thanks both; looking forward to a proper muddy run. Hope someone takes the spare entry ....
13/11/2013 at 09:25

As the forecast is dry for the rest of the week, I'm somewhat optimistically hoping it won't be too muddy. Certainly looks like it's going to be a little fresh!

13/11/2013 at 13:04

All that rain recently will make it interesting; does look ideal running weather though - can anyone describe 'the hill' as I've not run this before ....

13/11/2013 at 17:12

ok spoiler alert for those who like surprises .....

At mile 7 (ish) you leave the canel towpath and start very slowly climbing up. It's a gentle incline but I'd say about a mile long and goes on for way more than a mile mentally 

you will have gone up steeper climbs but for me as I didn't know when it was finishing that was the trouble 

then you start the trail run with lots of the roots of the trees painted pretty pink. The trail run isn't that uneven with no real killer bits. It's a great run in the woods & well sign posted. 

Then after a few miles back to the towpath for about 3 miles I think 

but as with all races you romanticize it after the event. And I could be remembering it all wrong. 

I was knackered ! Got a PB though and a week after Hellrunner I was delighted. 

alas this year my mantra wil be "just keep going" 

14/11/2013 at 08:17

Excellent report Cowgirl! You paint a good picture and i'm looking forward to it immensely; will get a chance to look around as I'm carrying an annoying glute pain but not bad enough to stop me running! I think it was SOTF in Nottingham that caused the internal bruising

14/11/2013 at 12:30

Thanks Cowgirl, that's really useful. I'm not great with hils so knowing what to expect is a massive help. I'm really looking forward to this so hopefully it will be a good day, forecast is for mist which will be a shame.

Can anyone that has done the event before recomend a good spot for spectators to head too? 

14/11/2013 at 12:53
2wheels wrote (see)

Can anyone that has done the event before recomend a good spot for spectators to head too? 

The following pub is at around the 3 mile mark and the first water station. You will also see the runners on their return (mile 10 and a bit at this point) since this is where the canal is rejoined.  

http://www.globeinn-leighton-buzzard.co.uk/

Should be a good race! I did a recce of the "dirty" part of the course last Sunday and it looks as if it will be a bit of good cross country training!!!  

15/11/2013 at 08:23

Woke up with a stinking head cold today. Not happy. Though it at least explains why I struggled so much on Wednesday night. Dose myself up and hope for the best...

15/11/2013 at 08:32

"The fresh air will be good for you" as my grandma used to say!

Seriously, just chill today and drink plenty, nice night in and an early night with a hot toddy perhaps? And don't dress too warm tomorrow; that hill is gonna bring you out in a sweat!

18/11/2013 at 12:11

You weren't wrong about the hill! What a cracking event I absolotuey loved it! The cold pretty much held off, but I blew quite dramatically after the hill and really struggled during the last few miles. Just outside of 2 hours which was a little disappointing but thoroughly enjoyed it.

If any of the David lloyd Redwaty Runners are reading this, what a fabulous friendly bunch. Was in a group with some of them before the hill and great to run with and my g/f was with some of them where she was watching and said the same.

18/11/2013 at 12:30

i really enjoyed it too. 

forget any medal the cake was fab ! 

memory let me think the race wasn't as hard as it really is. Good mix of trails etc 

I can't wait until next year. I was outside 2 hours so I have a point to prove next time ! 

If anyone knows of a similar race please let me know 

18/11/2013 at 13:20

Yes the cake was good!

I'm kicking myself that I was less than 2 minutes outside of 2 hours...

There is a half in Milton Keynes next month that is partially on the Grand Union. And I did one up in Brum during the summer that was a point to point on the towpaths. Greenway challenge in May is not dis-similar. It's not on towpaths but is a circular, undulating off road course.

18/11/2013 at 13:54

Hi both - it was a great run, not too cold and dry enough underfoot, though interesting in places. I had a real go at the off road section and loved the roller coaster ride!

Managed 1.37ish but my sore gluteous area meant a fast finish was off the books - great cake and hot coffee too! My 'other half' also finished 2 minutes outside of a 2 hour finish. Would love to come back and have another go

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.