Do you run with your dog? advice needed

21 to 24 of 24 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
25/03/2011 at 06:17
My dogs never have to "gallop" when running with me!
25/03/2011 at 06:26
Iluvsunshine wrote (see)

I have 2 dogs who run with me.  One is a cocker spaniel x springer spaniel and is 4 yrs old.  She is running up to 30 miles with me.  At the weekend we did 30m and she was still chasing seagulls at the end. 

The other is 10 and is a cocker spaniel so is smaller - I wonder if he is similar size to yours?  In the past he has trained for a marathon and the longest he ever did was 20miles.  Now I dont take him any more than 6 miles.  We always run off road.

I`m so jealous, spaniels are sooo funny, love them to bits..... been lucky enough to run with a gorgeous 4year old black/white Springer called Trisha and a loony working cocker Spaniel called Fletcher, the look on there faces as were running through the forest... fantastic!!!

Have you got any piccys of these dogs...

25/03/2011 at 11:04

I run with Gem my 2 year old Northern Inuit, started her off when she just turned 18 months (as has been said before the larger the breed the longer it takes for their bones etc. to fully develop). Although when I say run, I'm eyeballs out and she barely breaks into a trot.!!

She'll now quite happily do half distances with me, so will have to investigate if I can actually enter her for a half round here, and I'm sure she'll quite happily go much further when mara training restarts shortly.

Still got quite a few months before running partner no.2 comes onstream .. .although as anyone who's visited the Things You Want To Say thread will probably agree .. running with Echo is going to be a whole different ball game and no doubt hours of endless fun !!!

06/07/2011 at 16:12

I’m a recreational ultramarathoner and triathlete and the owner of a 110-pound rottweiler.  I recently launched a blog devoted to pet fitness news and information (www.varsityreportblog.com).  We cover all sorts of issues relating to running with dogs.  Earlier today we published a post about canine thermoregulation and its implications when it comes to warm weather exercise. You all might want to check it out: http://www.varsityreportblog.com/2011/07/06/summertime-training-pt-1-canine-thermoregulation/

Cheers,

Dan

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.