Do you think oscar pistorius regrets boasting of his gun collection now

1 to 20 of 76 messages
14/02/2013 at 08:54

in an interview just before the olympics he said he slept with a 9mm by the bed and a machine gun by the window. doesnt seem so clever now does it?

14/02/2013 at 09:01

The story is quite a shock to say the least. I know crime in SA is pretty rife across the country but adopting a "shoot first" reaction? Even if I had a gun I'd be reluctant to shoot it unless I was absolutely sure of what I was shooting at.

I know it was 4am, but if you are awake enough to fire a gun at someone you are aware enough of your surroundings to be able to see especially in an adrenaline fuelled scenario like that - senses would be incredibly heightened.

I'm not entirely convinced of the accidental circumstances.

14/02/2013 at 09:36
mattywarr wrote (see)

I'm not entirely convinced of the accidental circumstances.

1) The first thing when you wake up is think 'I think there is an intruder in the house, and hey my girlfriend is not in the best next to me'. So basic human intelligence is going to suggest the possibility that the person wandering around the house could be your girlfriend and not an intruder.

2) He shot at her four times, hitting her twice ...... he wasnt firing a warning shot or anything like that, he was shooting to kill even though clearly he could not have witnessed someone firing at him or his life being in danger because no other weapon was involved.

3) Here is a quote from a Devon and Cornwall police officer with regards to Valentines Day - 'we had anecdotal evidence from officers of an increase in domestic violence over the Valentine's Day period.'

So I for one am certainly not taking his account at face value.

cougie    pirate
14/02/2013 at 09:55
Thank god we've got our very own Miss Marple on the job !

I'll let the police sort it out.

David - what if his girlfriend worked away - say an airline stewardess for example and was surprising him by coming straight over from a cancelled flight or something ?

What if he's as blind as a bat without his contacts in ? He mistook a handbag for a machete ?

Very early on Valentines Day to be kicking off eh ?

Whatever happened - its a sad day for all families involved.
14/02/2013 at 10:21

That was presumably a quote from Devon and Cornwall constabulary's man at the scene in, erm, Pretoria.

Some subjects are best not commented on. Like this one.

14/02/2013 at 10:26
Muttley wrote (see)

That was presumably a quote from Devon and Cornwall constabulary's man at the scene in, erm, Pretoria.

Some subjects are best not commented on. Like this one.

So Muttley ...... if I was to say to you that putting my hand in an oven that was on here in England would burn my hand, according to your logic, someone putting their hand in an oven that was on in South Africa wouldn't necessarily be burnt.

Do you not get the concept that if domestic violence cases spike on Valentines Day in England, that may well be the case in other parts of the world? And in fact is highly likely.

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 10:27
14/02/2013 at 10:30

I think his girlfriend is a model, but yeah she could have flown in especially

I guess he must have shot her from the bed, otherwise he would have had to put on his 'house legs' which may have given him time to shout out/think about who it might be.
I wouldn't have thought burglars would snoop around a bedroom in a gated community (if they broke in), but take the expensive stuff from the living area.

As cougie says tho' - lets leave it to the police

14/02/2013 at 10:35

It's an immutable law of the internet that 99 per cent of posters know exactly what happened within minutes of an incident.

14/02/2013 at 10:37

Oscar that is the worst valentine surprise any guy as ever given his girlfriend

14/02/2013 at 10:40
Peter Collins wrote (see)

It's an immutable law of the internet that 99 per cent of posters know exactly what happened within minutes of an incident.

Thank you Peter ...... oh wait, you were saying that sarcastically

14/02/2013 at 10:50

Me? Sarcastic?

14/02/2013 at 10:56

Ive never understood why people were so enthralled by Oscar anyway. Putting aside this 'incident' ...... this is a guy who tried to bully his way into the Olympics despite the fact he had carbon fibre blades for legs, and so was given a spot because the officials knew he wasnt going to win anyway and it would provide a 'feelgood' story ........ then without a hint of irony he moaned because he was beaten in the Paralympics by a guy who supposedly had bigger blades than he did. The complete hypocrisy of his moan apparently passing him by.

An arrogant man who always thinks hes in the right. And I suspect that same attitude was at the forefront a few hours ago.

14/02/2013 at 11:07

At the moment, everything about this case is mere speculation.

If his explanation that he thought his girlfriend was a burglar doesn't stack up then clearly the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Breaking news.

Charged with murder.

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 11:08
14/02/2013 at 11:09
RicF wrote (see)

At the moment, everything about this case is mere speculation.

If his explanation that he thought his girlfriend was a burglar doesn't stack up then clearly the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I can't believe RicF threw a joke in there ........

14/02/2013 at 11:23

ah, the Pistorius backlash begins!

14/02/2013 at 11:26
Peter Collins wrote (see)

ah, the Pistorius backlash begins!

lol, to be honest, its only really coming from me ......... I think everyone else here loves the guy.

and Ive always thought he was arrogant, way before any of 'this' occured.

14/02/2013 at 11:30

I never thought much about him. However, I always thought that one day the question of the merits of running on blades would come into sharp focus - I just thought it would happen in the Olympics, not the Paralympics, and would come from able-bodied runners querying the fairness of it, not from Oscar himself about other runners' blades. I found that whole thing interesting. I'm not sure where I stand on bladed runners being allowed to run with able-bodies athletes, but I guess the question is where does it stop? I'm not sure that's been sorted out to full satisfaction as yet.

14/02/2013 at 11:36

The whole thing has been debated at some length on this forum a few times, with measured opinion coming down on both sides, particularly at the time when the court of arbitration overturned the IAAF ruling that he shouldn't compete at the Olympics because his blades conferred an advantage.  So the backlash is not a new thing.

Still, conjecture about bare facts in what is obviously a tragic case no matter what's happened... different kettle of fish.  No comment.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
14/02/2013 at 11:49

No comment either. We don't have the facts.

14/02/2013 at 11:52

Once Kirani James the Olympic 400m champion said it was a privilege to be on the same track as Pistorius I reckoned that was the end of the discussion.

Its a sad business whatever the details.

1 to 20 of 76 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.