Does every runner have the potential to run 1.5 miles in 7 minutes flat

21 to 36 of 36 messages
20/05/2014 at 08:25

I agree with Nayan - you are not trying to become a great runner you are trying to become a paratrooper. Different goals, different requirements. 

20/05/2014 at 08:35

Targets are there to be met not broken, even if you've got a 7 minute run in you it would be pretty pointless, military training especially basic is about meeting a standard to build on, it's far better to get through each test comfortably than blitz one and struggle with the rest, making sure you've always got a bit left in the tank for whatever they throw at you next will serve you better than blasting round the run in 7 minutes.

20/05/2014 at 17:18

@Nayan Good advice, thanks

20/05/2014 at 17:19

@Screamapillar I don't plan on joining the Paratroopers.

23/05/2014 at 21:36

As someone who is in recruit training with the Royal Marines Reserve (don't look down anyone - the tests for entry and passing out are the same for both regular Royal Marines and those in the Reserve) I can give you a little more information (perhaps) than you may have receive (sorry if anyone else has military experience, but the answers here aren't taking into account a few factors). You'll probably hate me for this, but as you aren't going for Paratroopers (good shout) but you are still going to be a pongo you may not have to have that kind of fitness at any time during your training or career, unless you want to go into special forces - but that is another discussion entirely. Our entry tests are 1.5 miles in 12:30 and then a second in under 10:00 - most people blitz the second run and get sub 9:00. There are many people saying you don't need that level of fitness and you should instead concentrate on upper body strength - very true. But if you scrape the entry tests I can almost guarantee you that you will not be ready for what follows; the fitness curve, so to speak, is dramatic with us and I imagine it is similar in the Army. However, it would be bloody good to attain that level of fitness if only for the mental attributes you will gain in tandem. The main aspect of military life people fail to adapt to, or even consider for that matter, is the mental side of it. Not just in fitness, but in going almost non-stop for 16/17 hours a day. In that respect it would be a cracking idea to be able to have that level of mental resilience. Excuse the waffle here, I just thought I would give you a detailed answer. FINALLY, one of the major aspects of muscular strength you will need to acquire is that of being able to "yomp" (or maybe this is just RM, as we do have a tradition in it and a dreadful 30 miler at the end of training), something that you cannot train for outside of the Armed Forces (short of putting on a bergen full of rocks and walking for 8 hours).

To round off a fairly long and boring as **** answer, try to get that fitness as much as you can, but retain your ability to do a few pull ups, press ups and what-not.

If you have any questions about getting there just ask.

23/05/2014 at 21:39

* Also, forgot to mention that although targets are there to be met, as has been mentioned, if you just meet those targets and then decide all is fine and dandy and you'll just sit there watching everyone else work until they are asking to go outside to throw up, you will not get in. The training team look for a state of mind that says you will do everything to the best of your ability and will be looking for that to be reflected in you exceeding every target with a red face and grunts like a prehistoric caveman having a "good time" (although they will hate the noises and make sure you're aware of that, they will know you're going all out).

24/05/2014 at 09:05

Amazing answer thanks a lot. I'll actually be applying for the Royal Engineers, the Paras and Commando courses or something I will definitely look into later on down the line but as of now it'd be thinking too far ahead.

I'm working on upper body strength more than my runs. Getting close to 80 push ups in 2 minutes and I can do 8 to 12 pull ups with good form at the moment.

24/05/2014 at 10:50
Hang on....what no one has quite laid out, is that 7mins for 1.5miles is exceptional speed.that's 4.40 miling!! Go and try running short reps at that pace, pretty fast.

10mins is mere 6.40 pace which for so short a distance will be massively doable to any lightly trained man
30/05/2014 at 16:26

It is exceptionally fast, but some greased weasel ****s manage it. In all fairness, the guy who managed it in my troop has run a few marathons and is rather a fit bloke. ZekeDE, those press ups sound hoofing, likewise with the pull ups. If you can maintain those standards and improve sit ups and most importantly running then you will breeze training with the right attitude. Good luck to you.

31/05/2014 at 06:30

Holding 5 minute miles for 10k would give you 31 minutes for10k/6.2 miles. A 15 minute time for 5k is needed  for a 31 minute 10k. 15 min 5k and a 31 min for 10k  would put you on track to break 70 minutes for HM and potentially run a  sub 2 hour and 30 minute marathon.

31/05/2014 at 12:27
If you can do 1.5 miles in 7 mins there is no need to join the forces to see the world. Just train a bit better and join team GB. Oh no wait- that thread got nuked.
01/06/2014 at 21:38

No harm in trying and I never have accepted no as an answer. Appreciate the comments, thanks guys.

02/06/2014 at 19:55

I've no idea whereabouts you are, but perhaps the Paras 10 race in Catterick would be of interest to you?

http://www.paras10.com/pcoy-challenge.php

10 miles cross country in boots and with a 35lb bergan in under 1hr 50 minutes to get under the required time for Paratroopers. 

02/06/2014 at 21:27

Crazy I actually relocated to Catterick five months ago, anyway just had a look into it and I'm definitely going to do the 10 mile run. Cheers mate

09/06/2014 at 12:09
Patrick Hopper wrote (see)

FINALLY, one of the major aspects of muscular strength you will need to acquire is that of being able to "yomp" (or maybe this is just RM, as we do have a tradition in it and a dreadful 30 miler at the end of training), something that you cannot train for outside of the Armed Forces (short of putting on a bergen full of rocks and walking for 8 hours).

I believe the paras call it TABing (As in Tactical Advance to Battle)

10/06/2014 at 10:51

ZekeDE - it might also be worth having a look at arrse.co.uk (if you haven't already)  if you have any more specific questions relating to selection.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.