Does this setting exist on a Garmin watch?

16 messages
12/02/2013 at 16:17

So im at work so I cant check, but the thought randomly occured to me.

Say youre in a Half Marathon race, its roughly 2/3rds of the way through and lets say you your target is 1 hour 30 minutes.

And lets say youve set your running buddy up on your watch to finish at that time, and your watch says you are currently 3 minutes behind him.

So to finish at at 1 hour 30, you need to make up the 3 minutes before the end of the race to get there.

Without having to bother doing complicated math, is there a setting on your watch that can tell you how fast you NOW need to go to reach your target time so that you can try to run at that even pace knowing if you stick with it, you'll match the time as you cross the finish line??

Essentially if Im 3 minutes behind where I'd like to be, I'd like to know how much extra I need to run in terms of speed to make up those 3 minutes over the course of the remaining race, without having to run like the clappers to make it up, do it with a mile to spare but then Ive exhausted myself doing it too fast that I then cant finish in time.

12/02/2013 at 16:24
I'm not sure but I quite like doing the mathis in my head as I go along as it takes my mind off the hammering your legs are taking.
12/02/2013 at 16:38

To be honest, if you're 3 minutes behind pace with a third of the race to go, unless the target was particularly conservative, you're probably fcuked!  But yeah, what Millsy said.  Garmin on one wrist, pace band on the other.  The maths can't be too difficult.

12/02/2013 at 16:42

I agree with Millsy. During a race I am constantly working out my estimated pace and finishing time at each mile/km marker. No need for any fancy gadget function.

12/02/2013 at 18:44

doing the maths in my head is fun!

12/02/2013 at 19:09
That approach could leave you mighty disappointed, as you put in your effort, make up those 3 minutes, Garmin ticks over the 13.1miles, and you look up to find you still have a couple of hundred yards to complete the course. Risky.

In other news .... Does this mean DF3 has been accepted into a HM, with no ballot, and males not excluded. I have my fingers crossed.
12/02/2013 at 22:41

Actually Im in the Reading HM, so you can all laugh at my time next month.

Im considering wearing my 'No Fat Chicks' t-shirt on the course to see the reaction.

12/02/2013 at 22:48

On my Garmin I set one of the fields to show average pace.

It's slightly easier to deal with.

Multiply the difference between your target pace and your actual pace by the number of miles done and divide the result by the number of miles left.

Eg 20s/mile slow at mile 8 with 5 miles left to go is (20*8)/5=160/5=32secs/mile to make up.

13/02/2013 at 22:37

I don't do the running partner thing - average pace is not as sexy, but does the job just fine!

Surely though with 2/3 of a half marathon done, the only thing you are doing is hammering it as much as you can/hanging on in there anyway. It's not a case of "making up" as you are just going to nail the last 4 and a bit miles as hard as you can. If you've lost 3 minutes by then it's all over. If your brain can still cope with all the fancy maths then you are definitely not running hard enough!

14/02/2013 at 16:25

Multi tasking too difficult for you exiled claret?

16/02/2013 at 17:59

I'm with PhilPub 

16/02/2013 at 18:16
PhilPub wrote (see)

The maths can't be too difficult.

You clearly haven't spoken to my math teacher about my grades.

16/02/2013 at 19:51
How can a pace band help you make up time equally? I assume that 3minutes was an example. It's more likely to be 1:40 or something smaller but equally random.

I tend to run on effort anyway so target times are flexible and I like to see what I've run at the end knowing I've run at capacity. What is the point of aiming for sub 2hr by running 9:09? You could get an easy stretch at the begining where you've relaxed down to 9:09 then hit a hill at the end that knocks your pace for six. Seems odd to me.
16/02/2013 at 20:26
TimR wrote (see)
How can a pace band help you make up time equally? I assume that 3minutes was an example. It's more likely to be 1:40 or something smaller but equally random.

I tend to run on effort anyway so target times are flexible and I like to see what I've run at the end knowing I've run at capacity. What is the point of aiming for sub 2hr by running 9:09? You could get an easy stretch at the begining where you've relaxed down to 9:09 then hit a hill at the end that knocks your pace for six. Seems odd to me.

If you've relaxed down to 9:09 then you should have enough in reserve to get over the hill!

XX1
16/02/2013 at 22:19
I suck at math and, therefore, am with DF3 on thinking that it would be handy if a Garmin could work it out.
XX1
16/02/2013 at 22:26
TimR wrote (see)

I was assuming a modicum of common sense.  If there's a flippin great hill at the end you obviously need to have a bit of time in the bank to take account of slowing down for the same effort.  If it's fairly flat, 9:09 is a good guide pace for each split and maybe you'd want to make sure you're no more than 5-10s out either way.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.