Dublin marathon

first time marathon runner

2 messages
25/08/2005 at 18:18
can anyone suggest what you should bring with you to the start and finishing line such as food or rain gear as this will be my first time entering a full marathon
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/08/2005 at 06:46
I did Dublin last year and found it fairly cold and windy, so you need cover-up gear at the finish. If it's raining before the start, use a plastic binliner with cutout for your head so you don't get cold. The race shirt given out at the finish was long-sleeved so I was ok with that.
Food-wise, if you haven't trained with food intake just before then race day is not the time to start unless you have a cast-iron stomach, better to stick to drinks at the aid stations and maybe fruit. After, personally I don't want anything to eat until after I've showered and changed. Then the hunger kicks in. Best to eat carbs and protein to help re-fuel, something like a sandwich is ideal.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.