Early morning runs - selfish?

Is it selfish to run early if I know it will wake my partner up?

41 to 49 of 49 messages
03/04/2013 at 16:52

My OH doesn't give a toss, as long as I don't expect her to go out running as well or watch me at any race where there's the risk of rain and cold; which is no risk at all since I'm not over keen on those conditions myself.

She is quite happy however to drive along in the car, following me while I do long runs. Though in future I suggest that she doesn't take the same short cut across the local golf course but to go around. Green keepers get a bit put out dealing with tyre marks.

03/04/2013 at 18:33

I get up even earlier than that, keep my kit in the bathroom, so in the morning I just slip out of bed, into kit and out of the door. OH never even notices I am gone. I always set the alarm, but tend to wake up before it goes off so it doesn't normally go off

it is only when the alarm goes off and I decide to stay in bed that he gets grumpy!!

03/04/2013 at 19:26

Sorry but l fail to see how anyone could consider anyone else for being selfish by getting them up half an hour earlier than what they normally would anyway.

If it was a case of you setting an alarm for 3am or something knowing that he would struggle to get back down then id maybe say yeah perhaps a tad inconsiderate but it's half an hour for crying out loud.

03/04/2013 at 20:04
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
She did... That's why she ended up with me !

History as well eh?

03/04/2013 at 20:19
Turns out he wasn't as bothered as I'd expected. Mobile phone alarm under the pillow worked really well though still woke him a bit. Enjoyed a lovely short run and felt smug all day.

Christ it's cold at 6am though!

Same thing tomorrow.
03/04/2013 at 20:23

well done, once you are used to it, you will wake up without the alarm anyway

in the summer it is so much cooler at 6 in the morning

03/04/2013 at 20:25
N Humphry wrote (see)
Turns out he wasn't as bothered as I'd expected. Mobile phone alarm under the pillow worked really well though still woke him a bit. Enjoyed a lovely short run and felt smug all day.

Christ it's cold at 6am though!

Same thing tomorrow.

All that whingeing for nothing!

03/04/2013 at 21:01

I find it quite magical early in the morning, especially in the summer and early autumn. The sunrise and the mist settling in the fields

05/04/2013 at 22:54

Glad it all worked out ok for you N Humphry. I'm fortunate in that I can do most of my running during my lunch break, I have an unofficial agreement with my boss that if I'm longer than 1 hour then I'll make the time up at the end of the day. I never fail to do so. On a Friday we finish 30 minutes earlier than the rest of the week so I have a 2 hour lunch and end up staying until roughly the same time as on the other days of the week. 

I am always out of the house before 7.30 on a Sunday for my long run, both my wife and I are up at 5.45 each morning to get ready for work, so she appreciates a nice lie in on a Sunday morning. She's normally only just got out of the shower when I get back so I jump in and we have breakfast afterwards. Going out early also gives us the rest of the day to do other things.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 49 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.