Eating Plan for 1/2 marathon

4 messages
05/08/2010 at 14:05

I have recently started training for a half marathon and am currently running upto 30 miles aweek over 4 days.  I do not want to loose weight just maintain but think I may need to increase the amount I eat with this amount of running.  Could anyone advise of a healthy plan I could follow.  I currently eat 3 meals a day plus 3 snacks.

05/08/2010 at 16:31

Hi Aimee.

My advice would be...Don't have a plan, too much stress, and too much hassle keeping to it. One of my main reasons for doing all this exercise is that I can eat what I want, when I feel like it. Just keep away from too much proceesed food and packaged ready meals and you'll be fine.

05/08/2010 at 23:43

Keep away from junk food period.

No fast food, no ready meal, no fizzy drinks no high salt high fat food.

fresh fruit and veg, dairy, low fat meat in small quantities, pulses, nuts, seeds. All the usual healthy stuff. Keep hydrated.

I guess with a name like Aimee you are female - it is unlikely that you'll looses much weight through exercise, your hormones will step up your appetite unless you are lucky (or unlucky depends on your view).

30 miles isn't really a lot in terms of calories 2,500 or a bit more depending on several variables. Thats easy to consume - a banana and a hanful of nuts every day.

Edited: 05/08/2010 at 23:43
06/08/2010 at 09:45

I'm also training for a half marathon and doing the same miles as you at the moment.  Haven't really changed the way I eat and haven't lost/ gained weight.  Just try to make sure that I have my biggest meal of the day before the run so if I run in the evening I have a proper lunch and if in the morning I have proper dinner to have enough fuel first thing.  And I also allow myself more carbs then I did when I wasn't running.  Don't overhink it, just stay healthy.  Good luck with your training!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.