Eco-running

21 to 21 of 21 messages
11/05/2009 at 11:20

>> I don't think that's true, Richard. And at the moment the organic industry's hit hard times because of the recession. Many organic farmers are bailing out and going back to conventional.

Exactly my point; being green is seen as a lifestyle accessory, a luxury that people abandon when it becomes inconvienient.

Sure Mrs Smith buys organic veg and carries them around in a hessian bag but she still wastes 33% of all the food she buys, drives to the shops and flies away on holiday twice a year. And when times get hard she switches from Waitrose Organic to Tesco Value.

Don;t get me wrong - I have no problem with people giving careful thought and changing their lives to improve health and reduce the environmental impact but that sort of thing is rare. Mostly you just see greenwashing used to sell the same old products (see biodegradable running shoes!) and people talking about how green they are because its currently fashionable (see reusable carrier bags) - I've got no time for that.

I think I've hijacked this thread enough so I'll butt out now

Edited: 11/05/2009 at 11:56

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 21 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.