Education maintenance allowance for 6th form

What should it cover?

21 to 25 of 25 messages
14/09/2005 at 08:54
At college my parent didn't give me pocket money, but paid for my books etc. I had a supermarket job at the same time which helped pay for going out etc, if i was short, but they were satisfied i was doing my best then they would help out

6th form, college, uni isn't all work, work, work. The social side of things is important as well, so the cost of going out with friends etc should IMO be seen as part of being at 6th form, rather than a luxury.

Agree she has to learn to stand on her own two feet, but make life to difficult, and any desire for uni etc may go.

Difficult balance to strike...so good luck
14/09/2005 at 10:48
BR

I don't force him to work you know. He says he finds it quite refreshing to do something outside and "mindless"

I just pay him the going rate for what he does.
14/09/2005 at 15:49
I'm with FR on this one. SnottBox Minor wasn't forced to work at weekends - he wanted to to augment his income, such as it was.
Yes, children have the rest of their lives to worry about work, but at 17/18/19 they need to be starting to either take responsibility for themselves, or at least learning how to.
You don't get anything for nothing, and all that. I considered it my duty as a parent to show him how to fend for himself - and all in the comfort of his own home!
Duck Girl    pirate
14/09/2005 at 16:21
FR:
'Nah
Parents are embarrasing, old fashioned, and listen to really uncool music.'

Depends on how old they are - Dad gets quite cross that I nick his Pink Floyd albums - for some reason he doesn't understand this great compliment that I'm paying him ;)

I think Saturday jobs depend on the circumstances.
My weekends generally looked like this:
Saturday - am. odd jobs, Aerobics class with Mum, Tesco's. pm coursework.
Sunday am church, pm help at local special school.

I didn't get much time at home on weekdays - basically I'd usually get back at 8pm, eat & sleep - & I'd usually go out on Fridays if at all 'cos it saved travelling time.

- being something of a swot I did actually spend most of my spare time doing coursework, & spent Sunday afternoons volunteering at a local special school - partly 'cos i liked it & it was a great relief from the rest of the week, & partly 'cos it looked good on a UCAS form - & I think that did me a lot more good in the long term than if I'd had to work in Tesco's simply for the cash (I'm now doing a psychology degree, & having stacks of 'work experience' from about age 14 is supposed to be really useful when it comes to looking for a postgrad job). Given I'd also got a really long journey on weekdays, I don't think it would have been possible to sustain a regular part-time job.
I suppose I'd want to ask what else they'd be doing with their time if they weren't working - if it's something you think is valuable for them (& a certain amount of mucking-about is - i don't think i did nearly enough), then probably best to avoid a p/t job if you can get by without.
Casual work can be a lot better 'cos then it doesn't have to be done during 'cramming' - I was lucky 'cos Dad's self-employed so there was always work on tap in the hols, but I also did babysitting - I ended up being known as the local 'special needs' babysitter - which again has helped with my Uni course - & I also did the odd bit of facepainting, more-or-less by mistake after being asked to help at the church fete.
15/09/2005 at 16:25
DG - you're not at Luffbra are you, by any chance? SnottBox Minor is studying Psychology there.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.