England vs France

Will England Win, Lose or Draw

81 to 100 of 137 messages
14/06/2004 at 12:29
can't accept the "played off the park" assessment. France's approach play was clearly better than England's - but James had remarkably little to do, even so. Come the last 10 minutes, the French were just lumping hopeful balls into the box & Trezeguet had disappeared almost as completely as Owen.
England do need to learn to retain posession better - when you're playing in temperatures of mid 20s C you really do make life hard for yourself if you can't keep the ball. Something to bear in mind for Thursday's afternoon kick-off.
14/06/2004 at 12:45
key words"need to learn to keep posession better"
firstly the premiership doesn't lend itself to posession football.the best players at doing this are the foreign players.
second;if clubs don't start giving young english players the opportunity to start in the top flight then they will never match the best in the world.
14/06/2004 at 12:58
Good result 2-1 and Greece won too!!
14/06/2004 at 13:18
3 mistakes - Beckham, Heskey & Gerrard undid all the good work of the back 5. Is Owen injured? I've never seen him so immobile - he made Heskey look almost like a footballer.

One good thing from yesterday's matches - the Swiss & the Croats looked awful.
14/06/2004 at 13:21
France had a lot of the ball, but better approach play? The didn't seriously look like scoring. We defended too deep in the second half - there was a phase before half way throught the second half when we were simply hoofing the ball upfield and letting the French come on to us again. That being said, when a hoof did finally reach an England forward, Rooney got his penalty. But in the first half and a times in the second, there was some sweet movement and passing - a long pass from Gerrard to Neville particularly stuck in my mind.

At the end of the day that was 3 points giftwrapped with love and kisses. Barthez guessed right and was a hero, James guessed wrong and wasn't. Heskey tackled like a forward in a place where he shouldn't have been - consequence of the whole team playing too deep? Gerrard had a total brainstorm.

At least we're not out even though the whole tournament is effectively now a knock-out. And we know we can match the favourites
14/06/2004 at 13:26
I hope Greece haven't used up the one and only shock result in the first round of games. The Eyeties get underway tonight and I'd love to see them get done by the Danes.
I hate their boring, negative, "score one and defend it" approach. And they're too fond of diving. Last time they played Denmark came from 0-2 down to win it. A re-run of that would be very much appreciated - only without the two Italian goals.
14/06/2004 at 13:39
gutted, totally gutted. We got complacent and sat too deep, we thought we'd won it and stopped trying. (I thought we'd won!)

The only positive I think was that I think we did pretty well all in all against the favourites and hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes.

Saw a few gems out on the field though I think King played fantastically well, did you see that header out when he leant backwards and managed to get it away - flipper stylie! Didn't know a body could bend like that!

Agnes, please don't come on here and make comments like that, there are a lot of heartbroken fans on here that don't need salt being rubbed in the wound
14/06/2004 at 13:48
tara,
surely,the thread is open to all views.if agnes wants to gloat at england's loss, so what.don't take the bait.i assume she's scot.if so...well!where are they?
ps; don't think we got complacent.just couldn't handle the french when they upped the pace.we're not good enough, simple as that!
14/06/2004 at 13:51
It's all part of football. People take the piss when you're team gets beaten, you give it back when you win. That's just the way it is. It's quite understandable that Scottish fans are pleased with the result, especially considering some of the singing from the English fans was of a derogatory nature towards Scotland.

and Travis is right. It wasn't that England weren't trying, they were just getting forced back under the weight of frencj pressure.
14/06/2004 at 13:55
Apart from the drama at the end, that was actually a boring game. When you think how much ability there was on the pitch (not to mention the obscene amounts those players on show earn in a year), I think we're entitled to expect a little bit more entertainment.

The good thing is that both teams will get better, I am sure. To do that though, England will need to start playing positive (as in attacking and not be afraid of conceding all the time) football and, yes, keep it a little better. Remember, the other team can't score while you have the ball!!
14/06/2004 at 13:55
Brunswick wrote about Italy:-

I hate their boring, negative, "score one and defend it" approach.

What were England doing last night then?

I don't think the keepers were a factor in either penalty. Zidane's was so good it hit the inside of the side netting. Beckham's was just the right height and direction if Barthez went the right way.
14/06/2004 at 13:58
Oh I forgot to say that I share your sentiments about the Italians, Brunswick! Those people have done more to damage the beautiful game than any other nation.
14/06/2004 at 13:59
wayfarer..you definitely come from the brian clough school of coaching. :-)
14/06/2004 at 13:59
Apart from the drama at the end, that was actually a boring game. When you think how much ability there was on the pitch (not to mention the obscene amounts those players on show earn in a year), I think we're entitled to expect a little bit more entertainment.

The good thing is that both teams will get better, I am sure. To do that though, England will need to start playing positive (as in attacking and not be afraid of conceding all the time) football and, yes, keep it a little better. Remember, the other team can't score while you have the ball!!
14/06/2004 at 14:00
Err ... can someone explain what happen there?!?!!

Sorry!
14/06/2004 at 14:09
you just repeated yourself
14/06/2004 at 14:16
BR, I'm not making a negative comparison of Italy to England, I don't care what England do I'd hoping Germany defy the odds & win it, or failing that France - I just don't like the Italians. Granted they've got top quality defenders but I don't find them interesting to watch (ever seen the Serie A football on TV - marginally less exciting than that programme about pain drying). Also I don't like their persistent cheating.

14/06/2004 at 14:30
what scots don't like is the way in which the pundits think England have a God given right to win and it is a national disaster if they lose. Winning means all we get for years a la 1966 is getting shown the team wining good old Jules Remy on the English, sorry British broadcasting company. At least the Scots are realistic unlike the English. By the way the rugby team has fallen a bit since the world cup. Does this mean they have to score tries and not just play for penalties since good old Johnny departed.
14/06/2004 at 14:46
Wayfarer, you made a very strange point...twice! I can't agree the game was boring, it was far more subtle than your usual Premiership fair, but all the more enjoyable and gripping for it.

On reflection, I think there is some comfort to be taken from the outcome. Unlike the 1998 World Cup when we screwed up in the league format and ended up in the top half of the draw having to beat Holland, Brazil and France to win even if we had beaten Argentina (as if!) finishing second as opposed to first this time does not have the same consequences.

As long as the team react positively to the defeat, then all is not lost and we could meet France again in the final and have a reasonable chance of beating them. For all their possession last night there wasn't much end product until the nightmare injury time.
14/06/2004 at 14:47
Go to France and their pundits think that France have a God given right to win and it is a national disaster if they lose.

Same thing goes for Italy.

Ditto Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Holland etc etc.

And quite rightly so but it seems that it's only wrong for the English to be so supportive of their national team.

Our other 'home nations' have such a big log on their shoulders about this.
81 to 100 of 137 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.