Entry Fees

Racing debate...

101 to 113 of 113 messages
Pudge    pirate
22/05/2013 at 14:55
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

And of course there is a proposed change that will require 35 years of NI contributions in future rather than the current 30 

For a man, I don't see why it matters whether it's 30 or 35 years.

Even if you started work at 25, you'd only have to work to age 60 to get a full record.

For a woman, who might take time off to have children etc, there may be more of an issue, but even for a woman it's largely achievable.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
22/05/2013 at 15:02

It matters if you have to trail into town to sign on every other week,  when you are not getting anything else out of it 

22/05/2013 at 15:05

Thanks Pudge. Will look into that. 

Pudge    pirate
22/05/2013 at 15:08
Cinders wrote (see)

Thanks Pudge. Will look into that. 

No probs, have a look on hmrc.gov.uk and you should find how to go about doing it.

I think it'll cost you about £600-700 per year in voluntary contributions.

29/06/2013 at 18:03

I've just seen this thread after reading it in rw.

I experienced discounts for the unemployed at last years Robin Hood. I sent the organisers a letter asking why should they get a discount when:

1,They have all the time in the world to train

2,Free prescritions

3,Council tax paid

4,Help with rent/mortgage

The reply i got basically said "if you dont like it, then dont enter"

What chance has the average man in the street got when this is the attitude of major companies??

And just to add insult to injury, this years fees £29.75 if you work, £10.00 if you dont!!!

Edited: 29/06/2013 at 18:51
01/07/2013 at 19:46

If you want subsidised entry fees as an unemployed person an answer could be to act as a marshall at a certain number of events to gain points that could be put towards the subsidy. This way there is a gain all round - more marshalls and cheaper races.

Food for thought?

01/07/2013 at 19:56

But how do you fund all the travel to these events to marshal ?

08/07/2013 at 20:09

If you can get there to race you can get there to marshall - simples

19/07/2013 at 17:47
seren nos wrote (see)

i don't think its the entry fee that puts off younger runners.they just have better things to do on the weekends like going oput clubbing and getting pissed.........they probably pay more money for one drink in a nightclub than they would on a rcae entry

Thing is, not all students/young people do go out and get pissed every weekend. There are those of us that get up early and run because we love running as much as the rest of you. Just because a lot of young people do go out and get pissed doesnt mean all of us do! 
A race fee of £20 is basically a weeks food for me, so any reduction on that would be greatly appreciated! Believe me, if race fees were as low as drinks prices in clubs, then I would be doing a hell of a lot more races!

19/07/2013 at 17:58
cougie wrote (see)
Young people are probably having too much fun to run marathons - I don't think that's a problem really ? If you look at a city centre at midnight on a Saturday you'll find a lot of youngsters having nights out. I'd reckon you'd spend more money there than you would on most race entries.

If you went to Manchester City Centre tonight you would find me handing out flyers on minimum wage to earn money so I can pay for race entries...

28/07/2013 at 18:45

Give the unemployed free race entry in return for volunteering to marshall.

No argument then about cheaper entry - and everyone actually benefits by doing it this way.

29/07/2013 at 12:21

Subsidised transport to get there ?

XX1
29/07/2013 at 12:25

The unemployed can already run for free...  They just need to step outside their front doors...  Why should they get either free or subsidised race entries?  What next, subsidised ski trips?

XX1

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 113 of 113 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.