fell runners

21 to 23 of 23 messages
30/09/2009 at 17:27

Kenny Stuart (one of the best fell racers ever) did a 2.11  marathon, but fell racing  is a very different discipline. With marathons its all about  leg speed and maintaining a swift pace over a distance, but with fell running you need a much wider range of abilities, so training is much less focussed on flat speed, and rather on strength and technical ability mixed with leg speed.  

Joss Naylor's new autobiography mentions that one of his few regrets in life was not focussing on a road marathon to see how he would have compared...

Andi Jones as mentioned above is a great example of a fell runner who's also great on the road, but I suspect his fell racing might suffer a smidgen from the road miles.....(he does alright mind!).

01/10/2009 at 09:21
bus boy wrote (see)

Kenny Stuart (one of the best fell racers ever) did a 2.11  marathon, but fell racing  is a very different discipline. With marathons its all about  leg speed and maintaining a swift pace over a distance, but with fell running you need a much wider range of abilities, so training is much less focussed on flat speed, and rather on strength and technical ability mixed with leg speed.  

Joss Naylor's new autobiography mentions that one of his few regrets in life was not focussing on a road marathon to see how he would have compared...

Andi Jones as mentioned above is a great example of a fell runner who's also great on the road, but I suspect his fell racing might suffer a smidgen from the road miles.....(he does alright mind!).

Kenny S did a lot of road work as well, he insisted it was necessary to maintain his speed.

Yeah Andi Jones is a good example, first Brit at FLM and 4th win at Snowdon this year, you almost feel though that he needs to concentrate on one or the other road or fell to take the next step up. Don't quote me on it as I'm not too familiar with his results but I think he tends to do better in Fell races where it's slightly better running under foot and he can really get into a rhythm and use his speed, rather than the very technical races.

Edited: 01/10/2009 at 09:22
01/11/2009 at 19:43
Fell runners obviously have great stamina to do something like the Bob Graham Round. They may not make great road or track runners because on the fells there are constant changes of gradient, surface and stride length. Therefore running a long distance at a consistent pace may not play to their strengths.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.