First Direct - Text Messages

21 to 34 of 34 messages
20/07/2005 at 12:15
I am a FD customer and receive the balance texts. Maybe I am missing a point here but surely if you get either weekly or twice weekly mini-statement texts as I do, you know within no more than a couple of days that your salary, etc. has been paid in. Most of us know which day of the month it goes in anyway. Its the mini-statements that I find valuable as a reminder whether I am getting near limit or whatever.
20/07/2005 at 12:19
I am a FD customer and I've just cancelled my texts that told me of every transaction I made when my current account balance was under £500! I didn't ask for this service and considering I'm a spendaholic I got a text every morning that was about 4 texts long ha ha!
   pirate
20/07/2005 at 12:29
I am definitely keeping the overdarft alert ones! Even if I would have to pay for it (although they have not announced that to me yet...)

I once woke up from a text arriving at 4am in the morning. I looked at who on earth was sending me a text at that time of the morning. It was first direct, we were about to go £6000+ overdrawn on our joint account!

Something was amiss, so I called them right away. They managed to cancel all the cheques before they had gone out of our account, thus saving lots of trouble and heart ache! And all this between 4 and 4.30 am in the morning! Someone had stolen our chequebook in the post! They followed it up really well and I am a happy customer, always have been...

The only bank that listens to me and thinks with me, I always feel!
20/07/2005 at 14:21
If you want to avoid hanging on to the 0870/0845 numbers, click here .

Alternative numbers for First Direct - I always get through straight away - and many other banks, building societies, utilities companies, etc.

As for FD text charges, I'll just stop receiving the texts.
Dustboy    pirate
20/07/2005 at 14:28
So, does anyone know if I can get my own 0870 number to give to banks, solicitors, insurance, surveys, DOUBLE GLAZING SALESMEN, change your electricity companies, even listing it in the fone book etc etc.

Imagine, begging them to call you! 4p a minute in your pocket to talk to them.

Better still, get a telephone tree!

The consumer fights back.
20/07/2005 at 14:34
I'm pretty sure anyone can set up an 0845/0870 number Dustboy. Once you've got it you can also use VOIP technology and reduce your own telephone call charges, especially on internation calls. I can recommend an excellent telecoms company if you're serious.
Dustboy    pirate
20/07/2005 at 14:37
Are they not only available for business then?
20/07/2005 at 14:41
Anyone can get service on 0845/0870 as long as they are prepared to pay. Contact most communications providers and they'll be happy to talk (until they realise they won't make any money out of you).
20/07/2005 at 14:43
This is where my limited knowledge starts to run out. There are lots of businesses which aren't limited companies - sole traders, etc. - so I would have thought they would be able to have them to, but I might be wrong. I've emailed you details of a man who can help answer that one definitively.

20/07/2005 at 14:49
I just told you the answer! I know about these things.
20/07/2005 at 14:50
20/07/2005 at 14:51
That is weird, tried twice to post url for link to BT info:

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/0020.htm
20/07/2005 at 15:05
I'm pretty sure anyone can set up an 0845/0870 number Dustboy. Once you've got it you can also use VOIP technology and reduce your own telephone call charges, especially on internation calls. I can recommend an excellent telecoms company if you're serious.
20/07/2005 at 15:05
Hmmm - something definitely odd going on here!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.