First post-race run HELL!!!!

21 to 24 of 24 messages
27/09/2002 at 14:55
M

Two - both in 1984!

Earlier this year I set myself a goal of raising £20k for Hope for Children by completing the 2004 London Marathon in under 4:22.

Why 2004 not 2003 I hear you asking, given that he's been prattling on at me to go for it?
- 20th anniversary of my other runs (London & Berlin)
- 10th anniversary of founding of HOPE
- it was a big step into the unknown and I wanted a conservative goal (I now firmly believe I could do 2003 in under 4:22 - 10 min mile for 26.2 miles - but will need at least another year for all the fundraising things I wanted to do).

(If you have doubts - I remember an item in the old forum where someone had seen a local news item where a woman entering FLM 2002 was reported as saying that she had got up to 8 miles in training for it!)

Nick
M
27/09/2002 at 15:05
Thanks for all your encouragement - I am going to give it some serious consideration.

What does the charity do?

£20K is very impressive - good luck with that. 2004 sounds like a good year for you with all those anniversaries to spur you on.
27/09/2002 at 15:33
M

HOPE supports lots of small projects around the world (inc a few in the UK). The thing I like about the charity is that they fill in the gaps that other larger schemes can't cover. So, for example, they support schemes that help say 6 mothers in a village to set up a micro enterprise in Sri Lanka and a place in Zambia (from memory) that has places for a dozen kids to get them off the streets. The Oxfams/Save the Childrens do brilliant work on large projects but sometimes can't get to help people who fall between schemes - HOPE tries to plug some of those gaps working with local projects rather than competing with them.

Its amazing how little it costs to make a real difference in some of these projects (£3 to provide the equipment to allow a street kid to attend school for a term).

Why not have a browse round
www.hope-for-children.org.uk
M
27/09/2002 at 15:42
I will have a browse - sounds like a great charity.

Thanks
Have a good weekend
M

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.