first time running need help

first time running need help

4 messages
25/10/2008 at 18:21
hey just a question really, a mate from work wants me to join him in doing a 10k run for our race in Telford on dec 21st only thing is he's fitter than me and had a lot more practice in race running than me but its something i want to do, is it possible to get this fit in just a month?

im a 23 male im in shape but not really done anything like this before need help, and any ideas
Edited: 25/10/2008 at 19:29
25/10/2008 at 19:41

Unless my maths is wrong - you've got two months to build up not one

If you already have a reasonable level of cardio vascular fitness then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to run just over six miles in two months time provided that you build up gradually and accept that you probably won't be challenging for any awards over and above whatever they give you for turning up and finishing.

Best bet is to find a 10k training schedule (look under the blue 'Training' tab on here) then adapt it to suit your current fitness and available time.  Then source yourself a pair of decent running shoes that are appropriate to your gait/running style before getting outside in the fresh air and enjoying yourself.

25/10/2008 at 20:49
Your mate obviously thinks you can do it, else he wouldn't ask you. Go for it
25/10/2008 at 21:14

Paul - Quote " but its something I want to do"

Then do it !!!!!!

You sound like you have a good basic level of fitness - running is continuous pain and hard - 2 months to train - go for it - if it hurts - its meant to hurt 

remember - pain is weakness leaving the body

" Its something I want to do" - then do it !!!

Edited: 25/10/2008 at 21:14

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.