Fitness for Age

Formula to assess fitness for age based on run time?

10 messages
16/01/2005 at 19:55
Does anybody know what the formula is to assess your fitness for your age based on race time?

I came across the figures following the Easter Bunny 10k at Yeovilton but don't know how it is calculated.

It could be useful as it provides an index that takes account of your age so it is an alternative to PB focus if the time is turning, or as I would like to use it develop so friendly rivallry with other running friends based on a comparative value.
17/01/2005 at 09:34
There was a thing about it in RW a month or so ago (haven't got the mags with me to check which). Basically it's usually worked out based on WAVA tables (can't even remember what it stands for). If you put WAVA into a search engine you should get a load of links to help.
17/01/2005 at 18:43
Thanks I'll give it a try....
19/01/2005 at 13:54
Found this - you probably have too:

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wavalookup.html

Can't do links
19/01/2005 at 16:37
If you want the full tables they are found here age tables

You need to find the right table for the distance, then use your age to find a factor. (its 1.0 or less) mutliply your race time by the factor and that's what you should have performed as taking your age into account.
19/01/2005 at 17:34
Quickstepper.
There are two basic systems.
One is the Age Tables at the link above.
I'm a V64 and did a 78:30 10 mile last Sunday.

Go to the table for Men 10mile-100k. Look down the 10 mile column (the first one) until you come to age 64. You will see the multiple .7953
If you multiply my 78:30 (78.5 minutes) by .7953 you get approx.62mins 25 secs. This is the time I could have been expected to do when at my peak up to 35 years of age.

In some races you will see a percentage column in the results. That shows you how far your performance is behind the world record for your age group. So, if mine showed 71.00% it could mean that I was 29% behind the best recorded time for my age group (V60-64).

Obviously the closer you are to 100% the better your performance. It enables you to compare everyone's performance in the race on a more or less equal basis.

Hope that's all helpful.
JJ
19/01/2005 at 17:45
Have a look at this link

You can see the age column and next to it a 4 figure number, say .8066.

This is the same as the percentage calculation that I talked about above but expressed using 1.00 as the base not 100. If you look at number 367 (me) you will see .71?? next to my age. That means that in relative terms I was better regardless of age than any runner with a lower figure.

If you look at the first woman in 13th place you can see that her performance was relatively better than the guy who came second.

OK?
JJ
19/01/2005 at 20:39
Thank-you all for you help and time. This is the first time I have asked a question on the forum - if only work problems were so eagerly resolved by colleagues!
19/01/2005 at 20:53
QS, this is a link to a calculator someone on here recomended last week, looks ok

Age Times
Woj
19/01/2005 at 23:25
O

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.