Five Year Plan - help please

A bit longer than the average plan

141 to 144 of 144 messages
20/07/2015 at 05:44

Lit - I've booked the Bedford Harriers half marathon on December 6th. 

Welshpoppy - I've been using the Polar strap / Garmin transmitter combo for seven weeks now, and it has been rock solid. 

Tricialitt - if you haven't already read it, I highly recommend "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas. You are at the right level of training to be able to follow the same plan. More recently I've also bought Pfitzinger's new book "Faster Road Racing" which covers 5K to Half Marathon distances and has some good base-building plans.

20/07/2015 at 09:30

Tenjiso: That is great to hear will get the polar strap.I am also getting the  new Pfitzingers book I have the marathon one it is very good but not planning on another marathon anytime soon but I am trying to conquer the half marathon with a 5 year plan.

Good luck with the Bedford half.

20/07/2015 at 12:19

Tenjiso- I have the book, but I can't stick to their plans- am going to try a modified version- where I do kms instead of miles for the midweek runs, but do the full distance for the week ends, as they get criticised for being too short anyway.

If I survive that, then I will try moving up to the full plan one day.

20/07/2015 at 14:57

WP - good luck with the strap, hope it works as well for you as it has for me. The new Pfitz book is written in a similar vein to "Advanced Marathoning", which makes it much easier to follow than the earlier "road racing for serious runners".

Tricia - it is very tough getting in the longer midweek runs, especially through the dark winter months. It's good discipline though, which helps when the going gets tough on race day 

I've just waved goodbye to the wife and kids as they fly out to China this afternoon . I have to wait a month before I can join them. Time to stock up the freezer with ready meals, lest I become emaciated 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 144 of 144 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.