Flat?

21 to 40 of 54 messages
29/09/2002 at 13:23
You lot know how to put someone off!! I have just had to watch the counter tick down to the 1pm start to the Windsor half Marathon on the website, having just spent the last 2 days trying to recover (in vain)from a bout of food Poisoning. Looked through my copy of runners world that came through the post yesterday (that didn't add much salt to the wound!!) and saw that Marlow and Henley are comimg up. Windsor would have been my first Half, so which of these 2 are most likely to give me vertigo??
29/09/2002 at 13:51
Neither will give you any more than Windsor would have...
29/09/2002 at 13:59
Carin,

Sadly, the Great Sam half marathon is no more. I think they've replaced it with a 10K. Maybe someone knows the reason for the change.
30/09/2002 at 00:49
It isnt as far
01/10/2002 at 11:16
The SAM organisers are able to hold the 10K race in the grounds of Wellington College(?) in Crowthorne so don't need road race police stuff. It is now held early in July to fit in with the long vac at the College.

It's an excellent race on a double loop course with a drink at the 5k point. Afterwards a medal and a Mars bar.
01/10/2002 at 11:37
I can definately say that Marlow was the most hilly half-marathon I've ever run. If I remember correctly, there was a hill just after the 7th mile marker which almost made me cry! It was steep as you like (or dislike) and didn't show any sign of ending.

The Wokingham half though, now there's a flat course. They had to cancel this year's race because of a landslip out on the course but it's back on for next February and is a good opportunity for a new PB!
01/10/2002 at 11:40
Paul,

The Henley's almost totally flat apart from one big hill - which you could walk if you needed to. It's a great race. Give it a whirl! Marlow is hard, but if you enjoy the Henley ...

Both are relatively small, well-organised races and you can usually enter on the day. Come on mate, support your local events!
cep
01/10/2002 at 18:27
shufflebuster

i beg to differ.......i've done windsor and marlow for the past couple of years and i'd say that windsor, the old course and the 'new, faster, flatter course (??)' of 2001/2 is merely a warm-up for marlow. marlow is tough! but having said that, i look forward to it all year!

cep

ps yes, there i am writing this from the psychiatric ward!
01/10/2002 at 19:06
It's an interesting question in these litigious times whether you could get your entry fee back after the event, on the grounds of misrepresentation, if an organiser descibes the course of an organised run as "flat" when the reality is "undulating", and you didn't want to find yourself on an undulating run.

Has anyone made a claim for this, I wonder?

01/10/2002 at 19:12
I think most runners would simply put it down to experience and make a note not to do that event again if it was either too hilly or not hilly enough. Trying to get your entry fee back is a bit tight and wouldn't do the sport a lot of good in my opinion!
01/10/2002 at 19:18

It's a temptation for race organisers to put their event in the "flat" description as this is likely to attract more entrants (and therefore more fee income) than if they called it undulating.

In an extreme case where the course clearly wasn't even vaguely flat but had been described as such, I don't think a person would be being "a bit tight" to ask for his/her money back after the event if the course was certainly a lot steeper than s/he had wanted to run. The organisers have a responsibility to describe the course appropriately.
01/10/2002 at 19:25
Fair enough, I suppose it depends on the person. I wouldn't ever ask for my entry fee back though.
01/10/2002 at 19:28
Nor would most people, except in an extreme case.
02/10/2002 at 08:23
I thnik an "undulating" course is a great 1st Half marathon to do. By finishing it you've achieved your goal, the time is less important.

If you choose to run more races, you stand a great chance of beating your PB on a flatter course.
My first ever race, Marlow 2001, thrilled to finish. Second race Reading 2002, 9 minutes faster equally thrilled to have run so much quicker.
02/10/2002 at 11:49
I don't think I would ever have run again if Marlow had been my first half-marathon! What did you think of Reading? I've done it a couple of times and it's not without it's hills but at least it's saine.
02/10/2002 at 13:35
I enjoyed Reading, obviously lots more atmosphere because of the size, but accompanied by lots more chaos and a delayed start. If the logistics/facilities are sorted out to match the size of the event, then Reading would be good.
The course was much more like my normal gently undulating training runs. Will probably enter next year.
02/10/2002 at 19:22
Totally agree. The start isn't ideal either with those bollards in the way, saw a few people run into them.
02/10/2002 at 22:13
Reading sane???

Reading has got too big for it's own good. The facilities cannot cope with the size of the field as witnessed by the chaos in the baggage area last year. The size needs to dropped by a couple of thousand and I can't see them doing that.

I was ready in good time for the advertised start time in just a running vest and ended up freezing.

Next year I will vote with my feet and do Hastings instead, not only do you get a well organised race with some hills thrown in but you can also cool off in the sea at the end!

If you want a flat course with a PB(almost)guaranteed try Wokingham in February.
03/10/2002 at 00:17
Wokingham's where I ran my PB and there's not too large a field either.

I didn't have to queue up at the baggage area at Reading because I was there with family but I didn't like the look of the queues! Despite problems at the start though, Reading is fairly well organised and pretty much the whole route was well supported too.
08/10/2002 at 14:10
Anyone know what time the race starts on Sunday?
21 to 40 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.