Forum Spam: Apology and Fixes

An update on how we'll be improving the forum

61 to 80 of 298 messages
14/06/2012 at 00:15
I think having forum mods to remove the occasional Gucci shoes spam is fine. However, the last few days have been a substantial attack and need more automated solutions.
14/06/2012 at 04:51

My point is the functionality to remove a post/thread is the same regardless of what the content is.  And that is where abuse/mis-use can happen.  People on this thread are already talking about removing spam & the odd nutter/blog poster.  This is day one and the scope of the the role is already creeping.  How long before it creeps further? 

I'm very opposed to this as I'm sure you can gather.  The spam is choking the site so that needs tackling at source.  The IT company supporting the site need to fix that.  If the odd one makes it through, I think we can live with that over a weekend so there should be no need for user mods.

There maybe a role for collective moderation in the future, but that would be separate functionality and would need to be built.

seren nos    pirate
14/06/2012 at 07:27

i think its easy to leave the posts about aldis or someone promoting their own race to the official mods.......

surely what Dom must be referring to is the multple posts of the same thing............to me this is fairly obvious...........it stands out a blinking mile...........and is the stuff that is annoying us all..............If its not obvious to others then i am suprised to say the least

if it gets cleared straight away then there will be less chance of them aiming for the site.........

I just can't see the objection to trying this for a while.......Yes it might not work if they use an idiot to do it......but there are a number of posters on these forums that i have total respect for and i'm sure if any of those are willing to give up their time and give it a go then i would behind them totally.......

yes it is better to be tackled at source but its obvious they are struggling so why not try this as a bandaid in the meantime before the forums get deluged in it....

seren nos    pirate
14/06/2012 at 07:42

anyone of the RW team could be on the forums under a different name............and noone cares two hoots........

not sure if its a power thing. or a hierarchy thing.............people making such a big thing .......

to me its similar to having everyones dna on a datebase.............if you aren't breaking a law whats your worry..........

unless you are secretly working as a spammer as a side job.whats the worry..........

seren nos    pirate
14/06/2012 at 07:47

Only if I can do it in gucci shoes...........

speaking of spammers...they musty have been scared off.there is a distict lack of them this morning

14/06/2012 at 07:50
Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)

My point is the functionality to remove a post/thread is the same regardless of what the content is.  And that is where abuse/mis-use can happen.  People on this thread are already talking about removing spam & the odd nutter/blog poster.  This is day one and the scope of the the role is already creeping.  How long before it creeps further? 

You are automatically assuming BDB the forumites who do this are going to misuse the role. Don't you think they actually deserve some benefit of the doubt they will know what to delete and which to leave?

Edited: 14/06/2012 at 07:50
14/06/2012 at 07:54
kittenkat wrote (see)
Little Ninja wrote (see)

You are automatically assuming BDB the forumites who do this are going to misuse the role. Don't you think they actually deserve some benefit of the doubt they will know what to delete and which to leave?

I don't think it's their business to give a gentle warning, that's always going to be a subjective decision for people emotionally involved in the forum.

Yes KK and I'd edited that because I realised they wouldn't be doing that and I'm sure these  are the posts that would be left.

However if someone posts about their blog in 8 different sections as a new poster. right now, they tend to get a lot of abuse. I'm sure the new poster would probably prefer someone actually being nice and explaining what's causing people's reactions 

Edited: 14/06/2012 at 07:55
Dark Vader    pirate
14/06/2012 at 08:40

Please...   this isn't about general user moderation of threads as such..  this is a discussion about dealing wth what is obviously spam attacks..   user mod for that will be a good step in the right direction..

Any discussion about general user moderation and its pros and cons is for another time..

14/06/2012 at 08:48
Dark Vader wrote (see)

Please...   this isn't about general user moderation of threads as such..  this is a discussion about dealing wth what is obviously spam attacks..   user mod for that will be a good step in the right direction..

Any discussion about general user moderation and its pros and cons is for another time..

In an ideal world DV that is all it will be, but RW needs to make things a bit clearer because people are already jumping to conclusions and the questions are going to be asked whether we like it or not.

14/06/2012 at 09:02

"I don't think it's their business to give a gentle warning, that's always going to be a subjective decision for people emotionally involved in the forum."

Eh? It's only a forum, about running. I can see how people could become involved in it and enjoy it and waste time on it, yes, but emotionally involved? Nah.

All we're talking about is a few folk being trusted with some basic housekeeping. I think it's being over-analyzed.

14/06/2012 at 09:07

Well said Muttley. Thats twice I've agreed with you now. 

14/06/2012 at 09:14

Muttley, whenever i read your posts, i tend to agree...i think there might be one major thing we disagree on , but 99% agreement on everything else can't be a bad thing.

If RW can't or won't emply someone to either build a spam proof site, or at least have a proper moderator at hand outside of office hours, i can't see any problemo in some trusted forumite being given the access.

The opposition to it seems to come from posters who are worried someone who doesn't like them will victimise them and start deleting all their posts!

Therefore, why not trial it, give some trusted person the ability, but to keep a record of what they delete...and then a proper mod can give it a very quick 5min once over come monday to check it's not personal?

as for spam...some would cheekily suggest it's all the constant pointless threads on general and clubhouse like "what's your favourite colour", but in reality we all know what it is, and it's blatant to spot!!

Edited: 14/06/2012 at 09:15
14/06/2012 at 09:14

DV & LN - it's the same thing.  Removing a thread is removing a thread.  They wont have a button saying "Remove Spam" and another blinking one saying "Do not press - removes thread".  If the mods could be given that sort of functionality, then there would be no need for them as the system would already had identified the spam.  In logical terms, a spam thread is the same as a bonafide one.  The purpose of having authority to remove a thread will creep and non commercial spam threads, blogs & races etc, will also get deleted.  We can't stop it - we will be solely relying in the user mods discretion.  And I'm afraid I just don't trust that.

Seren - having their spam removed will not stop the spammers from attempting to post.  It's an automated process and this site will be 1 on a list of thousands if not millions of sites their servers will hit.  That's why it has to be a technical solution, not a user one.

14/06/2012 at 09:17

The purpose of having authority to remove a thread will creep and non commercial spam threads, blogs & races etc, will also get deleted.  We can't stop it - we will be solely relying in the user mods discretion.  And I'm afraid I just don't trust that.

I couldn't disagree with you anymore on that BDB.

Edited: 14/06/2012 at 09:18
14/06/2012 at 09:22

Which part LN?  The creep (already evidence of it on the thread) or trusting the discretion for which, to be fair, I can't sight evidence for.  I just don't like the people having privilege in a supposedly equal environment.

But it seems I'm in a minority of people who think this is fundamentally flawed.

14/06/2012 at 09:28

We've already had a spammer this morning. A real person, apparently, who started half a dozen threads and also posted a link in a genuine thread. He even talked back when Fat Buddha, in his inimitably gentle way, asked that he desist. Someone's come along and deleted it. That's all we're talking about here.

14/06/2012 at 09:28

Both

How do you know they are going to creep and you admit yourself you can't sight any evidence of it. You call it 'privilege' - I call it people being willing to help out to make the forum a better place. They may be nothing more than deleting pure spam and providing feedback to RW as and when necessary. To use an Australian expression, I think they deserve a fair go.

14/06/2012 at 09:37

I think it's worth a go.

But there should be a super mod who has infinite power over all users, posts, mods and has the power of life or death. God, if you will.

I vote that that job goes to me.

14/06/2012 at 09:40

LN - One day we will find something we agree upon   There is evidence of creep on this thread - people talking about removing non automated spam and the odd nutter (that phrase may have been used elsewhere), when what RW want them to do is clean up the automated spam mess that they themselves should be dealing with.

Mutley - that stuff would have dealt with by an employee of the publisher or their IT support company.  That individual is accountable to their employer.  A user mod is accountable to no one.

Maybe I'm too cynical or too demanding in expecting the site to work.  For me, user mod is the wrong way to go.  I've nothing else to add really (though it probably wont stop me)

14/06/2012 at 09:41

Nothing at all is perfect - not software/technology, not people/moderators. But I can't help thinking that implementing several imperfect remedies simultaneously would be better for the forum than than the current circumstance.

61 to 80 of 298 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.