Forum Spam: Apology and Fixes

An update on how we'll be improving the forum

161 to 180 of 298 messages
16/06/2012 at 11:51

Nice work!

16/06/2012 at 12:20
seren nos wrote (see)

don't think the plans are in place yet 

I've also been asked to be a mod, but I've only had the time to delete left and right this morning.  I've got rid of a few, but the b*ggers are probably just waiting 'til I'm not looking.

M...eldy    pirate
16/06/2012 at 12:24

Been quite a few then this morning !!

16/06/2012 at 12:26

Yep - you beat me to 'em

16/06/2012 at 13:15

How did we know you were going to pick that up KK.

The thread had a similar title to the 1000s of spam threads, and had a username like the 1000s of spam accounts.

Hardly a big error deleting it!

16/06/2012 at 13:16

Yeah, a user whose whole amazingly genius thing on here is to spoof Chinese spammers by having a Chinese spammer username, who pretends to make a new post linking to a Euro streaming website has the post removed. 

Could this be the end of free speech as we know it? 

16/06/2012 at 13:24

KK, don't get paranoid again....play nicely...noones out to get you and remove your posts...it'd take too long for starters

Blisters    pirate
16/06/2012 at 14:07

As far as I can see, either the new firewalls are working really well, or mega-post M...eldy has been busy with the trigger finger. I don't even care if Zoog zoon's football link was from a human with a measurable IQ. From the description here it smacked of commercial advertising and is outside the T&C limits.

The question is what I now have to do to get a 7 day ban or even a red card?

Crash Hamster    pirate
16/06/2012 at 15:07

Certainly when I saw the post in question, there was no link, just a remark about watching it live and advert-free on the BBC. Poor pre-match briefing of mods by RW and poor execution. I'm with kk.

M...eldy    pirate
16/06/2012 at 15:13

Crashie I think the issue was covered in the other thread?

Dark Vader    pirate
16/06/2012 at 15:24

Common sense wins 

Dame Meldy OBE  to the rescue...   fab 

Crash Hamster    pirate
16/06/2012 at 15:37

Hmm, well if we're limiting discussion of one subject to one thread...

I've had my say, I'll flounce off now.

;)

16/06/2012 at 15:55

So, do the powers of the Ring of Moderation confer on the Moderatoresses the powers of the Dark Lord before whom all must tremble and obey? Or all the power of Mrs Mop?

The soap opera continues.

16/06/2012 at 15:58

Meldy / Jeepers

It would be a good idea if you get someone from RW to post the remit of the User Mods role.

I know that you've said it's just for Spam but i can forsee situations where people will personally object to a post/thread and try and pressurise the user mods to do something about it.  If there is a nice official post about what the user mods are allowed to do it'll give you some level of protection.

seren nos    pirate
16/06/2012 at 15:59

i think they are planning on giving an official post and info on monday...........just there seems to have been a massive spam attack this weekend that had to be dealt with........I think with patience all will be revealed......

16/06/2012 at 17:52

I've only just caught up with this and tbh shared reservations about who might do this and what access would they have to my personal data etc. 

Picking a poster who uses the forum lots, is even handed and does not lose their cool suits me. Great choice in Meldy RW (Apologies Jeepers but I don't know you).

16/06/2012 at 17:57

TBH I agree with kk about RW sharing more info with us about the exact remit of a moderator. Can they access your personal data etc?  

If so I'm Wayne, have hairy hands and drive a truck.....

Can I just say though,  kk you used to spend a fair bit of page space implying a special relationship with RW (Dan)?     Why is it different if it's someone else who has that?  

seren nos    pirate
16/06/2012 at 18:02
kittenkat wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

i think they are planning on giving an official post and info on monday.........

How do you know that? Oh wait a new mod told you but not the rest of us??

wrong again KK......

M...eldy    pirate
16/06/2012 at 18:34

I do not have access to anyones personal data .... as stated previously, the role (as I see it) is that of a cleaner for want of a word.   I spot spam and I can cear it as I have done this morning
It really is that simple, RW Towers will as far as I am led to believe post further on Monday, it would have been easy yes to have left the spam that we had this morning and over last night until Monday by which time it would have probably trebbled and that would have caused further upset.

Just in case anyone is in any doubt, I (we) are just hear to clear the spam., anyone who chooses to abuse that right would be foolish.  Yes of course I/We have the access to delete or hide and save for the odd spot of teething trouble which does and has happened with all new RW processes the only time this level of access will be used is with Spam.   The definition of spam is as we know it, the multi post spam bots and the Gucci Clothing et.c

Just hear to clean the spam 

16/06/2012 at 18:39

Meldy, out of interest, do you have the ability to reinstate a thread if it's accidentally removed?

161 to 180 of 298 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.