Forum spam update

21 to 40 of 41 messages
kittenkat    pirate
07/10/2012 at 17:19

Loads this weekend

08/10/2012 at 14:35

Incresed stammin for next weekend ..Ready for the kill.....

08/10/2012 at 17:31

Hello,

Was there a lot of spam over the weekend? I only had the one notification this morning. If you do spot spam, please report it as we're keeping a close eye on it.

The new spam software has caught a lot, but there will be some which slips through the net unfortunately. Hopefully these will become few and far between.

Many thanks,

Katie

M...eldy    pirate
08/10/2012 at 17:34

Katie .. we were overrun with it

It appears that you were not informed that 4 or 5 of 'us' have the ability to get rid of the spam and this is what we have been doing all weekend hence why only a few have been reported to you, if you can check all the bozoed posts then you may see the extent of the problem !

08/10/2012 at 17:45

Oh dear.

Could you hit the 'report to moderator' link before you bozo as we're taking down the forum ID posts? This means we get an email with the link ID of the spam for our developers to look at. It's fine to bozo after this.

I'll get our development team to look at the bozo-ed posts.

We really appreciate your work. I know it's frustrating!

Katie

kittenkat    pirate
08/10/2012 at 17:47

Can RW staff just not do it to save any confusion?

08/10/2012 at 17:56

We do monitor it as best we can but the 'spam wombles' are a huge help to stop it in its tracks as soon as possible. We are continuing to look into the best ways to reduce it.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 17:56
M...eldy    pirate
08/10/2012 at 18:11
Katie RW wrote (see)

Oh dear.

Could you hit the 'report to moderator' link before you bozo as we're taking down the forum ID posts? This means we get an email with the link ID of the spam for our developers to look at. It's fine to bozo after this.

I'll get our development team to look at the bozo-ed posts.

We really appreciate your work. I know it's frustrating!

Katie

I shall certainly try and remember although that is a tad labour intensive, I presume you dont have that kind of history in the system?

seren nos    pirate
08/10/2012 at 18:38

by reporting it......... would it mean that the RW team will have 100s of reported threads that they will have to look at just to find that they have been removed already.................and so risk missing the threads that have been reported for other reasons apart from the obvious spam.....

unless  it is all dobne differently

LIVERBIRD    pirate
09/10/2012 at 10:00

It's getting to the point where I won't even log on at the weekend. And that's no disrespect to those attempting to clean up. But they can't be expected to sit there all day waiting for the assault to begin....

09/10/2012 at 10:35
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

It's getting to the point where I won't even log on at the weekend. And that's no disrespect to those attempting to clean up. But they can't be expected to sit there all day waiting for the assault to begin....

Agreed. Katie - I know you guys are trying, but what it's like the spam wombles are buggered if they do, buggered if they dont.

10/10/2012 at 09:11

Morning

OK, update on the spam: The developers have looked into last weekend's spam and have taken more steps to reduce it in the future.

They tell me the spam filter is blocking most of the newer spammer accounts, and that your continued efforts to bozo visible spam should lead to a reduction, over time, of spam from older spammer accounts.

And apparently you don't need to report the spam as I requested earlier in the week - continue as you were and just delete/bozo where appropriate and we should see a reduction.

We don't at all expect our very helpful 'spam wombles' to sit around waiting for spam, but for those who are already on the forum (including us here at RW), it helps hugely if the spam is removed straight away.

Hope this helps. Thanks again for your continued support on this.

Katie

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 09:11
10/10/2012 at 13:43

Why haven't accounts known to be spammers just been blocked?

11/10/2012 at 12:20

Hi

The obvious ones have been blocked; other accounts are a little trickier - we don't want to block bona fide users so it'll take a little longer to work which these are.

Thanks

Katie RW

15/10/2012 at 22:02

hi what would be a good time for a runner to complete ahalf marathon

M...eldy    pirate
15/10/2012 at 22:07
Random
17/10/2012 at 00:46
There's a very annoying survey box which keeps popping up whether you click no thanks or complete the flippin' thing. Could you get rid of that?
17/10/2012 at 06:23

Are you a spam womble, womble?

seren nos    pirate
17/10/2012 at 07:28

very annoying womble....i thought it wa s a survey on runnersworld until i read the first page

18/10/2012 at 23:36
No, just a womble womble
21 to 40 of 41 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.