Foxy Follower!

21 to 37 of 37 messages
14/10/2008 at 12:49

Hi

Thanks for cheering me up guys! Having a rough day at work and the idea of all the joggers out there being chased by the cast from Wind and the Willows made me chuckle. Don't mean to be insensitive, I too would have been scared by two foxes chasing me, but you have to see the funny side

M

14/10/2008 at 13:06
I got followed by  a stray dog while I was on holiday. I am normally scared of dogs but I wasnt scared of this one. It just ran along next to me. Very sweet and even made me want one as a runnign companion. Unfortunately it wasnt very road aware and nearly caused a few crashes which made everyone swear at me the irresponsible dog owner.
14/10/2008 at 13:29

A tale to put this in perspective:-

A few years ago I was taking part in a x country skiing event in Finland. Part of the course went through some forest where there were Wolves. I noticed that some of the marshalls were armed with rifles, and on enquiring was told that this was so that they could defend themselves should the Wolves turn up (in reality they simply fire the rifle into the air to scare the animals off). When I asked what competitors should do if they came across a wolf I recieved the laconic - and typically Scandanavian- reply

"Ski faster"

Edited: 14/10/2008 at 13:30
14/10/2008 at 13:30

Struthie - Something similar happened to me and OH out on a run earlier this year.

We were running down this long and lonesome lane when we noticed 2 dogs coming towards us. I don't mind dogs but OH is a bit wary. I told him to ignore them and they shouldn't bother us .... well, it worked with one but I'm sure OH must have peeked at the other because he decided he'd like to tag along with us.
We tried to make him go away but he insisted we were going the way he wanted to go too. As he had no collar on and we had nothing to use as a lead there wasn't much we could do but let him join us. He was a beautiful young labrador and even OH began to admire him.
After a few miles with our canine companion we began to realise that we would soon have to cross a busy road and nor wanting the dog to come to any harm had to try and lose him, quickly.
Our chance occured when he stopped in the gateway to a house and began sniffing about, as he headed on down the drive we sprinted off as fast as we could until we reached the junction. We carried on but at a more natural pace and thankfully, couldn't see him behind us.

My hope is that he found his way home or that the people whose house he gone into would contact the police and report a lost dog. Which is what I'd have done if it had been possible to cross the road with a leadless dog that I don't know!

14/10/2008 at 13:30
Lol FR!!
PloddingOn    pirate
14/10/2008 at 13:41
So what you are saying is that we should go out with our guns and flame throwers in case foxy woxy starts to get a bit scary wary?
14/10/2008 at 14:58

Oi Plod, Im with ya on that one! Or a big stick!

PloddingOn    pirate
14/10/2008 at 14:59
Oh goodie 
14/10/2008 at 15:54

Were you listening to music on that run?

Would have been very strange if you were listening to ' Fox on the run ' by Sweet . Great music from the 70's.

When fishing early one morning had an otter surface right beside me, made me jump,it scrambled up the bank & ran down path, few minutes later came crashing through reeds & long grass along path toward me( put shivers up my spine) then dived back into river beside me. PHEW

PloddingOn    pirate
14/10/2008 at 15:58

I miss someone yelling when you go for a run after a game drive

"EISH.....LIE-ON"

14/10/2008 at 16:00

Watch out foxes, Paul & PO are after you......

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/fail-fox.jpg

PloddingOn    pirate
14/10/2008 at 16:13

I don't mind foxy woxy's

They certainly don't scare me - I fink dey are cute and cuddly and shootable if they eat chickens

That way, you get chook and fox for dinner 

14/10/2008 at 17:51

Fox on the Run was by Manfred Mann, released by RCA.

It was the 60's as well....

14/10/2008 at 18:37

The rifles were to make a bang and scare 'em. There were supposed to be bears in the area as well, so I guess they felt justified.

I did the Glacier Point race in Yosemite afew winters ago. At one point I was being tracked by a mountain lion. I never saw it - just  heard it and saw the tracks crossing ahead of me.

14/10/2008 at 21:16

On a 'cute' note-

Was with a school trip in Dorset last month and we were followed for over a mile by a kitten ( ahhh!) Course the kids were besotted and wouldnt leave it alone and it just wouldnt go away. On arriving at a Coutry Park we handed it over to the wardens ( we also had 2 dogs with us- bit dopey; they were both greyhounds and didnt see it!) The wardens had seen it before at the entrance to the park and said they would take it back.

Sure enough - about 3 hours later on our way back it spotted us again heading home.

We told the kids to leg it & luckily no one decided to take it home.

On another pointless note - my mate has badgers in his garden and would love to get rid of them ( you arent allowed to). When the badgers move off for their vacaton the foxes move in and make even more of a mess. Its a mystery why they chose his garden - his wife hates animal life; they are in the middle of a housing estate and their garden isnt that big. Reckon they do it just to annoy her. Said they should get Bill Oddie in and charge a fortune!

PloddingOn    pirate
15/10/2008 at 08:50
Cakey - promise?  I can find a foxy woxy right now 
PloddingOn    pirate
15/10/2008 at 12:59
Naw it's more fun with a foxy woxy

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.