Friendly running club in Leeds?

1 to 20 of 23 messages
14/12/2009 at 17:44

Hi Folks

I am the pet tortoise at my local running club - manage 10 min miles on a good day - but I'm being shipped down to Leeds for 6 months and wondered if anyone knew of a friendly local running club I could join. I'm thinking of somewhere nice and friendly where racing isn't a necessity. I'm recovering from injury so want to build back up slowly with a view to racing in the much longer term. I'll be based and living in the city centre.

Thanks

14/12/2009 at 19:50

We are a very friendly running club!  We meet not far from the city centre at the gym on the Vue cinema complex off Kirkstall Road.  We have people of all paces and not everyone is into racing.  You can just come and join us for as long as you want and you don't have to pay a penny.  Have a look at our website and email if you have any questions. www.virginactiveroadrunners.co.uk

Also, consider parkrun which is a 5k held on Woodhouse Moor by the University every Saturday morning.  Everyone is really friendly and supportive there too.  http://www.parkrun.org.uk/leeds/Home.aspx

14/12/2009 at 22:55
Thanks dippycat, that's really helpful. I may see you in the new year!
15/12/2009 at 08:02

Another friendly club is The Abbey Runners: www.abbeyrunners.co.uk we are up in north Leeds just past Headingley. I started out in the slowmo group in April this year and was made very welcome.

Dippycat: say hi to Harp for me the next time you see her will you. (we went to the same school).

15/12/2009 at 19:51
I will Mr Darcy.  She's been out injured for a while, but next time I see her I will say hi for you.
15/12/2009 at 21:25
Any running clubs in Morley/Gildersome?
15/12/2009 at 22:38

Another vote for Abbey Runners.  Kirkstall Harriers cater for all abilities too.

TurboElli - give Rothwell Harriers a try: lively club, wide range of running standard.

16/12/2009 at 18:26
I'd recommend  Kirkstall Harriers too (I'm a member). The slow group usually does a 10min/mile pace, but one of the lasses sticks to the back markers pace - nobody gets left behind or made to feel they are holding others back. More importantly there are always a few people go for a drink afterwards.
16/12/2009 at 18:29
Sorry - should have said we run Monday and Wednesday evening. The website address is kirkstallharriers.co.uk
18/12/2009 at 21:14
I've no car so can't get anywhere far without running or cycling there. Would prefer a local one just for the convenience and time.
18/12/2009 at 22:36

TurboElli: linky to the Up and Running Leed Store website, there are a bunch of Local running clubs on here - it looks like most are north Leeds, but one or two might fit your bill:-

http://upandrunning.co.uk/shops/leedscentral.php#clubs

Failing that here's a link to the England Athletic affiliated club search site:-

http://www.uka.org.uk/grassroots/search/

it shows 22 clubs in Leeds. Hopefully you can find a convenient one to you. Good Luck!

18/12/2009 at 23:19
Think the nearest one for me is Leeds City Athletic Club.
Been wondering about it for few months. New Years resolution. I will make time.

Thanks xx
27/12/2009 at 18:01
Another vote for Virgin Active Road Runners.  I've joined in the last few months and been made to feel very welcome.  It's genuinely a mixed ability club and yo will find plenty of other runners to keep you company at a 10 min mile pace.
07/10/2010 at 11:37
Picking up on an old thread... What happened to Virgin Active Road Runners? Dont seem to be able to find any info on the web anymore?
07/10/2010 at 11:42

You may find that they have become 'Hyde Park Runners'.

I think most of the original members were previously Virgin Active members and also Leeds parkrunners, which is run in Hyde Park hence the name! 

07/10/2010 at 11:48

Apologies, it is actually Hyde Park Harriers:

http://www.hydeparkharriers.co.uk/

Edited: 07/10/2010 at 11:54
07/10/2010 at 13:19

A-haaaaaa thank you!!!!!!

30/04/2012 at 11:57
Appreciate this is an old forum, but have there been any clubs set up in Gildersome, Farnley, Morley?
30/04/2012 at 12:11
Hi Kevin I much doubt it I've been on the lookout around this area too but I think the closest ones for us will be Dewsbury, Pudsey, Hyde Park and even roberttown or spen.
I haven't got a luxury of a car and a busy schedule and I can't make it to any. I've ran with Pudsey pacers a few times and would recommend them. If I could I'd join them
16/07/2012 at 22:49

any running clubs in south leeds?

1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.