From Zero to Hero in 6 and a half weeks .... (plus 4 and a half hours)

1 to 20 of 230 messages
20/03/2013 at 11:32

hope you've done some 'hill' training on your treadmill?

WiB
20/03/2013 at 11:39

Don't forget the quads for the downhills too if it is actually hilly

WiB
20/03/2013 at 11:41
I am following this with interest because I find running outside infinitely easier than treadmill stuff. Ditto turbo training vs road cycling. Also undulating routes much kinder on the feet and knees than flats. Soooooooooo....by my logic you should be on course for a sub 3.
WiB
20/03/2013 at 11:51

How will they handle the trail? Maybe look at a mountain board or zorbing?

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 11:51
WiB
20/03/2013 at 11:54

Train up some Calves!

Are you planning on taking a herd of cattle with you?

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 12:25
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

But Phil that goes back to a point I made in another thread, where I said merely covering 26.2 miles isnt enough ....... there has to be some conditions attached to it, like having never stopped running the whole time or has to be done within 4 hours) or something like that. Because to be honest, any idiot in the world can get round 26.2 miles given enough time, so why should the person who took 6 hours to do it, say they 'ran the marathon' and be given the same credit as someone who also 'ran the marathon' but did it in 3 hours?

Personally I would keep it simple ....... youve got 4 hours ....... the person doing it in 3:59 gets a medal, the person doing it in 4:01 doesnt ....

so you are chickening out of running a marathon already and not going for a proper time like sub 4........next you are going to walk it all in a fancy dress costume in a pair of tennis shoe or boost shoes ( same thing ) 

WiB
20/03/2013 at 12:44

Just looked at the race and it actually looks ok. Have friends down there and was tempted to enter but clashes with 3 Forts Marathon and I am already entered to run that.

Should be a fun run out DF3.

WiB
20/03/2013 at 12:50

Its a total pig of a course! At no point can you take your eyes off the ground two feet in front of you or you'll be on your arse. There are some hills that are soul destroying and when crossing Salisbury Plain in the 2nd half you can see the trail ahead of you for miles. Pray that it isn't hot. I carried 2 and half litres of water and finished the lot by half way.

Enjoy 

20/03/2013 at 13:07

go for it - no excuses just go for it.

20/03/2013 at 13:08

Well its close to where I live, so I thought why not ..... and a bit more interesting than running around on a street for 26 miles! Plus it will probably be 6 years worth of ballot before I get a go at VLM anyway.

I thought you only wanted to get into VLM so you could write to the organisers and tell them you didn't want to do their crappy marathon anyway?

20/03/2013 at 13:15

Looking at it seriously, you can't compare road and trail marathons.  Plus you're too optimistic on your conversion, I think you might hit 4:30 in a road mara. So I would say 5 hours plus for you if you pluck up the courage to do it.

20/03/2013 at 13:16

...and 4:30 for your girlfriend, she look like a proper runner to me.

20/03/2013 at 13:20

I think we're all willing to be impressed by whatever time you get. But we won't think you deserve your medal.

20/03/2013 at 13:23
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Looking at it seriously, you can't compare road and trail marathons.  Plus you're too optimistic on your conversion, I think you might hit 4:30 in a road mara. So I would say 5 hours plus for you if you pluck up the courage to do it.

Well even better, so what youre saying is that if I struggle in at say 4:45,  you'll give me credit for that then?? Have we got that on record? 

David are you suggesting a wager?

WiB
20/03/2013 at 13:55

How much donation and I take it to the charity chosen by the winner?

WiB
Tommygun2    pirate
20/03/2013 at 13:57

Mr Puffy, remember what happened last time you had a wager with a certain young lady, are you sure you want all that again did you ever get the money off her.

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 13:58

Mr Puffy's wagers are always for charity .........

david if its a tough trail marathon then i hope you don't need to eat those words of 5 being doable tomorrow.........

or otherwise the wager could be so much for 4:30 and an extra pound for every minute after that

20/03/2013 at 14:04

And every minute he does under 4hr30 we could all donate a pound to his selected charity?

20/03/2013 at 14:09

It's all getting a bit D2D again...

seren nos    pirate
20/03/2013 at 14:11

what will be the fine if he actually does the unforgiveable and WALKS  a few steps 

It is going to be tough ... marathons always are.....and it looks like you have picked a toughie......but you usually learn from them and by doing a tough one then you will be guaranteed a PB for your next Davey Boy

1 to 20 of 230 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.