Fuelling for an evening race

Recommended snacks?

12 messages
26/09/2012 at 10:28

I have a 5k race next week, at 8pm in the evening and I was just wondering if or what I should eat beforehand? 

It's my first race so I will most definitely be nervous so would like to avoid anything that could cause more issues to an already jittery tummy! I finish work at 5pm and then have to be at the warm-up by 7pm. With commuting/driving time that won't leave me a lot of room to prep stuff so something quick would be good. 

Suggestions?

26/09/2012 at 10:43

I would have a small amount of pasta as close to getting home as you can, make it the night before and either have it cold as a salad or heat quickly in the microwave! Otherwise a couple of slices or peanut butter on toast if you are used to eating that, and a cereal bar!

26/09/2012 at 11:07

malt loaf

26/09/2012 at 11:08

Eat whatever you'd normally eat - you don't need anything special for a 5K

WiB
26/09/2012 at 11:15

Something like pasta is not necessary. A lot of people get hung up on carb loading for races. Just eat normally throughout the day, possibly a small something to eat between getting home and leaving the for the warm up... egg maybe or a small salad? If you really have no time you could always just take a gel 15 mins before the off and that will easily see you through 5k.

WiB
26/09/2012 at 11:16

Depends on when you eat lunch/dinner. It was 8pm - i'd have dinner around 4.30/5pm and then run on that

26/09/2012 at 12:17

I'd eat a normal lunch and after work I'd probably have a Boost bar about 6:30 and sip a bottle of lucozade sport between then and 7:30. You shouldn't worry about anything else with a 5K.

It works a treat for me!

26/09/2012 at 12:25
Did someone mention carb loading for a 5k? You might use up 500 calories or so, thats all. I would make sure you have a decent lunch around 1pm and then forget about snacks. You don't want anything swilling round your tummy for a brutal 5k
cougie    pirate
26/09/2012 at 12:26

You wont be fuelled from your tea anyway - so its not necessary to eat really. 

I'd not eat a proper meal before a race. Maybe a snack after work to tide you over - what you dont want is a full tummy bouncing around.

Eat properly after your race. Good luck !

26/09/2012 at 12:45

Thanks for all the replies! 

I wasn't thinking that I'd a) have time or b) really need to eat dinner before a 5k- as long as I have a decent lunch. So was just looking for quick snack ideas really, thanks for the tips  

26/09/2012 at 13:11

WIB: I wasn't talking about pasta for carb loading I was thinking if I hadn't had a cooked dinner during the day I'd be starving by the time I got home from the race so would make pasta the night before and eat it quickly before I went! Cooked dinner that is easy to stomach, job done!

WiB
26/09/2012 at 14:17

Sorry touie, the post wasn't aimed specifically at yours

WiB

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.