Garmin marathon schedules and macs

61 to 80 of 118 messages
11/04/2008 at 06:52
Bazza, fantastic - job done. Got the file no problem, imported into TC and sent to the 305 in a flash. Unlike my marathon speed.

It would be great to know how to convert my own files. Even better, it would be great if Garmin made its devices and software more Mac friendly and RW offered its schedules in a similarly compatible way.

We can only hope.

All the best - and I'll be looking out for your time on Sunday.

Mark
28/04/2008 at 20:31

Many thanks Bazzaboy... just getting started with a new Garmin and came across your script - worked a treat!  (grr to the Garmin software folk - why couldn't they just include this import support?)

01/05/2008 at 11:57

I'm having problems with this, can create the script but not sure what to do from there, where to save it etc.  I get the following message when trying to save it so I don't know if I'm doing it right.  I'm trying to import a 3:30 schedule for the New York marathon on 2nd November, any help would be much appreciated!

You cannot save this document with extension “.pl” at the end of the name. The required extension is “.scpt”.

01/05/2008 at 12:13

The way I saved it was using TextEdit:   Copy and paste the script contents into a new document, then use "Format->Make Plain Text".

Now I was allowed to choose the file extension as pl.  (Select 'Don't append' if it offers to add a .txt extension as well).

I saved the script in my Documents directory, which was the same place I put the downloaded schedule.  

If it still doesn't work I can e-mail you the schedule, just PM me an e-mail address.

Good luck with the training! I'm starting the 3:30 schedule too, for Abingdon in October.

01/05/2008 at 14:28

Ok, done that, but this is now where I'm stuck, as the file won't import into training centre.

'then chmod a+x wkt2tcx.pl so it can execute then run as

wkt2tcx.pl rwschedule.wkt > rwschedule.tcx'

01/05/2008 at 14:55

OK, so you need to open the 'Terminal' application to open a command line.  Then type:

cd Documents

chmod a+x wkt2tcx.pl

wkt2tcx.pl rwschedule.wkt > rwschedule.tcx

Thats three separate commands, each with an enter afterwards.  It assumes that both the rwschedule.wkt and the wkt2tcx.pl files are in the Documents directory.  This should create a file called rwschedule.tcx that you can import on the mac.

01/05/2008 at 15:00

Oh and one other thing.  If the NOTE from the original script message isn't clear:

When copying the perl script to TextEdit you need to make a correction to the script.  There is a line in the script towards the end that says

xsichemaLocation

This needs to be edited so that there is a colon and a captial S after the xsi.   (You can't paste the characters in the forum message because they get turned into a worried smiley face!)

01/05/2008 at 17:29

Ok, I've follwed everything exact but get the following in Terminal.

-bash: wkt2tcx.pl: command not found

Think I'll give up, I've got my schedule on my Mac anyway via a PC but it would have been useful for future reference.

Nevermind, thanks for your help anyway!

01/05/2008 at 18:47

Oh well, for anyone else looking I made an error in the third statement above.  It should be:

cd Documents

chmod a+x wkt2tcx.pl

./wkt2tcx.pl rwschedule.wkt > rwschedule.tcx

01/05/2008 at 21:10

Ok, gave it one last bash and it works!

Thanks

01/05/2008 at 22:43

MoscowFlyer,

Glad to hear it worked for you, sorry you went though some pain and hassle to get there. I have now uploaded the script to my server. It can be downloaded via ftp

ftp ftp.servage.net

garmin

garmin

get wkt2tcx.pl

exit

chmod a+x wkt2tcx.pl

Barry
Edited: 02/05/2008 at 19:05
28/06/2008 at 23:11
Ok, my schedule starts in two weeks but I've just realised that none of the slow or steady runs have uploaded to the device.  I've tried again from scratch with the same problem.  Any ideas?
10/07/2008 at 18:20
If you folks with Macs have problems, then pity us poor folks who use Linux.
14/09/2008 at 18:29

Thanks bazzaboy - used your original 10 instructions plus deleted the Activities and Courses sections I seemed to have in my export from Garmin Traiing Center et viola - all set (well in advance ) with me Edinburgh Marathon 2009 schedule
14/09/2008 at 20:36

You're welcome Smout, my next marathon is Edinbugh 2009 so see you on the start line

take it easy

Barry

28/11/2008 at 08:39
Can anyone help? I'm getting the error 'The file /Users/matt/Documents/rwschedule.tcx is an invalid Training Center XML file and could not be opened.' when I try to import the tcx file. Thanks.
09/01/2009 at 15:50

Just a shout out to say a big THANK YOU for doing this.  One wonders why such a simple task could not be sorted out by Garmin or RW.  I followed this thread with the corrections noted and it worked first time.

Let the FLM09 training begin,

Kevin

09/01/2009 at 15:51

Just a shout out to say a big THANK YOU for doing this.  One wonders why such a simple task (relatively) could not be sorted out by Garmin or RW.  I followed this thread with the corrections noted and it worked first time.

Let the FLM09 training begin,

Kevin

14/01/2009 at 11:41
Baz,

It works! Thanks.
09/04/2009 at 17:46
I've tried to download the marathon schedule for my garmin and it's not opening it up ....is there still a probem with it or am i doing something wrong?
61 to 80 of 118 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.