Gels vs Energy Drinks

4 messages
14/05/2008 at 17:52

I have recently started using energy/isotonic drinks when I run and am finding them very useful.  However, the bottle is very heavy and annoying to carry even though I have a special belt for it.  I am entered for a 10k at the end of June and half marathon in September and am wondering whether I can get away with using gels and water at the water stations rather than having to lug my bottle round.  I am worried about dehydration in the heat if I rely on the gels(although the British weather being what it is it will probably be raining for both races!).

Does anybody have any advice or experiences with this?

Thanks!

cougie    pirate
14/05/2008 at 17:55
You dont need gels for those distances, or energy drinks.

You may want a little hydration though - so if you're really sure you need it - get a little donut type water bottle. There will be water stations, but you dont need huge amounts of water - trust me.
14/05/2008 at 18:27
Thanks cougie.  I never usually drink on 10k, but was worried about the heat!  I have tried the donut type of bottle but I hate having to hold it
Iron Pingu    pirate
14/05/2008 at 22:22
I always take an energy gel on a half marathon.  I did a 5km the other day, I nearly died in the heat, I really wish I'd had my doughnut bottle with me.  I guess wait and see what the weathers like on the day.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.