Getting overcooked wearing layers..

21 to 31 of 31 messages
06/12/2012 at 21:36

I find I warm up ok if I have my long sleeve vest underneath a tshirt -and I'm usually even ok with shorts. It's my hands that get it - I get terribly cold fingers anyway, and often even with gloves on my fingers get so cold they hurt very much. 

09/12/2012 at 23:31

Long sleeved top, ron hills and merino wool gloves if it's very cold. And a buff around head; get too hot in a hat.

09/12/2012 at 23:45

I find it really uncomfortable to have things stuffed anywhere in my tights, so second the windproof gilet -- mine is also hi-viz for early mornings and dark evenings, is lightweight so not too hot, and it is the only item of running kit I own with pockets big enough to put gloves in after a few miles. If it's only a bit cold I just wear a vest underneath.

Did a race today (actually turned out not to be that cold) where I'd decided on the start off cold and warm up approach because no pockets in my club vest for gloves and was quite jealous of the two guys in front, who'd planted their girlfriends at 3 miles to throw their discarded gloves and hats at.

10/12/2012 at 11:08
TheSianz wrote (see)

It's my hands that get it - I get terribly cold fingers anyway, and often even with gloves on my fingers get so cold they hurt very much. 

This is a real problem for me as well. Considerable pain in my fingers during a freezing run last weekend, and even worse afterwards for about 10 minutes as circulation returned to my fingers. This despite wearing Nike windproof/fleecy gloves. Thinking of some Icebreaker merino glove liners - quite pricy at £20+, but may be worth it. Anyone tried these? 

http://www.itchyfeet.com/gifts/gifts_under_25/icebreaker_glove_liner.htm

10/12/2012 at 18:28

TheSianz & CambridgeMinor - sounds like Raynauds.

I have Raynauds and my hands; feet and ears are badly effected.
I rarely warm upon a long run and days like yesterday when it was both damp and windy on the wrong side of the downs I get so cold that it can take me over an hr to warm up after getting home. I was out for about 5hrs both cycling and running though I do take drugs to help they didn't cope. If I had gone for a short run I'd've been fine I'm sure.

CambridgeRunner - I haven't tried those gloves was tempted by a pair but they were a little too tight on my chunky didgets. I like to avoid anything tight on my fingers. I'm thinking of a pair of UA gloves. I usually run in Extremities which cope with most things. My favourites aren't available any more.

10/12/2012 at 18:30
literatin wrote (see)

I find it really uncomfortable to have things stuffed anywhere in my tights, so second the windproof gilet -- mine is also hi-viz for early mornings and dark evenings, is lightweight so not too hot, and it is the only item of running kit I own with pockets big enough to put gloves in after a few miles. If it's only a bit cold I just wear a vest underneath.

Did a race today (actually turned out not to be that cold) where I'd decided on the start off cold and warm up approach because no pockets in my club vest for gloves and was quite jealous of the two guys in front, who'd planted their girlfriends at 3 miles to throw their discarded gloves and hats at.

That's the purpose of my other half at races. To collect discarded clothing. (that and feed cake to abandoned children).

10/12/2012 at 20:34

I too have the no feelings in the hands, Almost had to run a parkrun the other week in my cycle helmet when I struggled to undo the clasp. Will probably have to put the bike into hibernation for a while. For running I have got a couple of those pocket hand warmers and am thinking if I can get hold of a pair of mittens with a bit of space in them, I could put them in and that might work.

Did get a balaclava in case the weather gets really cold but I am not sure I dare wear it particularly with a dark track suit in case I get the police helicopter hovering overhead.

11/12/2012 at 08:47
AgentGinger wrote (see)

shorts, short sleeve running top (long sleeve if it's truly freezing) and gloves, that I pop in my waistband once i'm warmed up. anything more and I overheat. And yes I wilt when i'm running in the summer. Anything much more than 20 degrees kills me.

Snap.  20 degrees and sunny near enough floors me.  Totally saps my energy and leaves me unable to run even close to true pace.  My thermostat is just crap.

I used to run in just short, t-shirt and a hat in the northern winter.  However, now I often don't exceed 75% of maximal heart rate on a run, I need a little more to stop the cold creeping into my bones too much.  Running tights are a regular feature, base layer top with lose long sleeved top over it or a windproof gillet and some running gloves get the nod too.  I do get hot but as long as the pace is steady away, not too hot.

I wouldn't dream of doing any hard sessions in more than one layer though, i'd sweat myself dry otherwise.

11/12/2012 at 10:30

I must have poor circulation, as my feet get so cold in this weather that they are quite sore. I wear thick running socks, but is there anything else?

11/12/2012 at 18:38
I wish I had the 'overheating problem'!
Katy H - I have raynaud's syndrome and have found out about these gloves my Dr recommended.

http://www.raynauds.org.uk/shop?page=shop.browse&category_id=7

...although I don't own a pair but I find it's best to keep my hands in a fist when wearing ski gloves, this is the only thing that works, otherwise I couldn't run in the cold as it's just too painful!!
11/12/2012 at 21:33
T.mouse wrote (see)
literatin wrote (see)

That's the purpose of my other half at races. To collect discarded clothing. (that and feed cake to abandoned children).

Haha, just noticed there is a new post on the race website that says: 

"Did you take your gloves off at 3 miles?

If you took your gloves off at around the 3 mile mark and threw them to a lady watching, she’s happy to send them back to you."

Seems the guys I saw may have just been flinging garments at random women!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.