GETTING WET

RUNNING IN THE RAIN

1 to 20 of 30 messages
20/06/2013 at 08:45

I am just about to go out for a run and it’s raining.  I love running in the rain – does anyone else like to run in the rain?

20/06/2013 at 09:14

Love it love it love it  -  my perfect running conditions are when it's slightly too cold for most people, a slight breeze (in any direction) and anything from a light drizzle to a full on downpour  -  I do most of my running on trails so puddles form really quickly and my OH hates them but I'm happy to just run straight through them.  The only thing I dislike is when it rains so hard that it gets into my eyes and floats my contact lenses around but then I just close my eyes and hope for the best!

20/06/2013 at 09:31

I'm with you on the clown hating.

But you can keep the rain.

20/06/2013 at 09:44

Don't mind the rain but for me the best time is on a cold crisp Jan/Feb morning with the sun out somewhere nice, Richmond Park is always a winner for me. A bit of frost on the ground but the sun on my face - perfect!

20/06/2013 at 10:25

I hate geting out in the rain, but really love it when I get going. It feels even better afterwards if you made the effort to go when you could have had an excuse not to

20/06/2013 at 10:32
I don't mind it on runs up to an hour or where I'm running at a decent pace.
I'm not so keen on 3hr slow runs when you get soaked to the skin and freezing cold knowing you have another 2 hours to go.
20/06/2013 at 11:03

Being a woman 'of a certain age' I never ever feel the cold these days so anything that keeps me cool is fine with me  -  I long for the roadside showers at the GNR and the lady with the hosepipe at the Freckleton half marathon is a life saver 

20/06/2013 at 11:06
We're you not running in January or February this year, it was definitely on the chilly side.
20/06/2013 at 11:09

I ran 8K today in the rain and it was so refreshing.  I am still recovering from Edinburgh Marathon at the moment and that was actually the first run since that I have enjoyed.  More rain tomorrow hopefully as I am hoping to go to 10K.

20/06/2013 at 11:14

Yep  -  trying to get through the snowdrifts on the High Peak Trail  -  me in my (admittedly long sleeved) running shirt and 3/4 running shorts and my OH in his tights, longjohns, long sleeved thermal T shirt, bobble hat, gloves and fleecy body warmer... 

Seriously though, I do have problems with keeping cool these days  -  it's the one thing that can push me into having to stop because I get nauseous and dizzy and the only race I've ever pulled out of was the White Peak half 2011 when it was 30+ degrees and I nearly passed out at 3 miles.  Not impressed.

20/06/2013 at 11:22

I always struggle running in the heat.  My average mile pace can drop by 30 - 45 seconds during the summer.  The colder and wetter (so long as it is not blowing a gale) the better.  That said I love running in the snow too!

20/06/2013 at 11:26

We are definitely on the same wavlength DTCH!  I'm trying to train myself to love gales too .....

20/06/2013 at 12:29

Rain's fine. 

Or is that an oxymoron?

Actually, I do like running in the rain.  Just need extra precautions to avoid nipple soreness.

20/06/2013 at 12:43

It's never so cold that I won't run, and a gentle rain can be very nice.

Not keen on torrential down-pours, though, as water tends to get in my eyes.

20/06/2013 at 13:14

I like it, parks which can be very busy on summer evenings clear out when you get a bit of rain.  

20/06/2013 at 15:56

I wont go out in bad weather.... I keep my gym membership up so that I can use the treadmill.  I like it to be 10-16 degrees C with intermittent cloud/sun.  (sadly we don't get much of that)

20/06/2013 at 15:59

I would rather run outdoors in the worst of weather than run on a treadmill.  When I was training for VLM last year we had some real bad weather, ice everywhere and temps of -15.  I was forced indoors for my weekly long run - 16 miles on a treadmill.  The worst running experience of my life!

20/06/2013 at 16:02

I can only tolerate about 1 hour on the treadmill and that's only if there's some good music channel on the TV otherwise I do get bored. 

20/06/2013 at 16:13

I love running in the rain. There's some exhilarating about it, partly because there's a 'sensible' part of me that thinks it's crazy. Oh yeah, I'm a rebel

Too cold though and it feels as though my throat is spasming.

seren nos    pirate
20/06/2013 at 16:16

I hate starting a run when its raining..but don't mind if it starts after I get going...have managed to do all day races in torrential rain..but suffer most when its hot

1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.