GIVING BLOOD

3 messages
08/06/2003 at 21:47
TODAY HAS BEEN THE MY DISSAPOINTING DAY SINCE I STARTED RUNNING 3 YEARS AGO. I DID THIS YEARS FLM IN 3.37 AND FOLLOWED IT UP BY DOING A PB IN THE LEEDS 1/2M 4 WEEKS LATER. HAVE BEEN TRAINING REALLY WELL AND FAST EVER SINCE ABOUT A WEEK AFTER APRIL 13TH.

TODAY I WAS DUE TO RUN THE BECKENHAM 10K AND LOOKING TO GETTING AROUND 42 MINS WHICH WOULD BE A PB. STARTED OFF FINE AND WAS WELL ON TARGET AT 4K THEN ABOUT 4.5K CLIMBING A NOT THAT STEEP A HILL NOTHING THE TANK WAS EMPTY. I WALKED FOR A BIT AND TRIED TO RUN AGAIN BUT FELT TOTALLY DRAINED NOTHING LIKE THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE AND I PULLED OUT AT 5 K GUTTED AND DEPRESSED.

ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF WAS I GAVE BLOOD ON WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. I DID 10M WEDNESDAY MORNING AND RAN 6.5M ON THURSDAY BUT NOT FLAT OUT AND THEN NOTHING UNTIL THE RACE.

ANYONE OUT THERE ANY THOUGHTS. SHOULD I GO EASIER NEXT TIME I GIVE BLOOD OR WAS IT JUST ONE OF THOSE DAYS.
08/06/2003 at 22:17
Ian, I am sorry for what happened, it could easily be because you gave blood... .
When I give blood myself I do not run for 5 days after it( I am a smallish person), coz it does affect my performance..... I know it always very difficult Giving blood and having an Event the same week. I think after you give blood you should take it easy.... I think everyone is different so I don't know how long it should be (from a few days to a week)...!

So don't worry , you are doing great and doing a good thing :-)
08/06/2003 at 22:22
Give blood after you do your races.

I play a different sport in the winter and notice that giving blood can make a difference in my performance for up to a week especially if I do any exercise the day after.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.