Golf Courses

1 to 20 of 21 messages
08/02/2011 at 11:40
I keep reading the suggestion of running on golf courses. This sounds great, but surely the golf course wouldn't let you do this. Has anybody any experience?
08/02/2011 at 11:49
Depends if the course/land is private or not.

Some courses do have a public right of way, but not around the whole course.

If in doubt, best to get in contact with the course and enquire.
cougie    pirate
08/02/2011 at 11:56
There is a golf course i sometimes run across that does have a footpath. I'm always wary of getting clobbered by a stray golf ball though.  I'd think that most private golfclubs havent got footpaths across and dont want people running there. Check on an OS map for paths ?
08/02/2011 at 12:06

We ran across Wakefield Golf-Course on Sunday morning, as there's a permissive footpath over it, but the golfists we saw weren't interested in us, but more in sauntering round

The last time I had been over a Golf-Course was down at Buxton, in a Land Rover, as the course there has a 'Byway' traversing it

What really gave it away was the 'thunks' as balls bounced off the roof

The other good thing is that it's a lovely smooth absorbant surface, & no dog-turds to look out for

Edited: 08/02/2011 at 12:08
08/02/2011 at 14:17
Stay away from the 18th hole though, I regularly do a wild poo in those
08/02/2011 at 19:48
I did it once one Sunday morning with the running club.  We kept to the outskirts of the course, but we still got a right bollocking from some official in an electric buggy 
08/02/2011 at 20:03

I sometimes run the golf course during the summer before work. i.e. starting off before 7am.

I wouldn't run on the course if there was any one golfing since they pay to use the facilities.

You could always get a membership and try speed golf.

09/02/2011 at 09:39
At home I frequently run across a couple of paths which cross fairways and have never had a problem. Currently I'm sitting on the patio of a villa at Danang golf club and have had a run around the paths. It's nice running in 26 degree heat back to reality next week!!
10/02/2011 at 07:52

Running or walking across a Golf Course is an incredibly stupid idea.

A golf ball  travelling at 70mph on the head....yep very sensible that

10/02/2011 at 08:44

You'd be pretty unlucky to get hit by a golf ball. After all Golf seems to be the sport with the lowest ratio of action per hour than any other.

It makes cricket look positively flat out.

10/02/2011 at 08:52
Stevie G . wrote (see)

You'd be pretty unlucky to get hit by a golf ball. After all Golf seems to be the sport with the lowest ratio of action per hour than any other.

It makes cricket look positively flat out.

In the street may be !

Anyone considering running around a golf course needs their head looked @ & probably while do by either a surgeon or coroner @ some point.

10/02/2011 at 08:58

So by that logic BRT you don't run anywhere near a road then if it's so dangerous on Golf courses..., number of people hit by cars each year, quite high, number of people hit by golf ball quite low.

10/02/2011 at 10:11

Very different.

You generally hear  a car unless you are stupid enough to road run with an ipod playing,motorists are also generally looking for other road users.

You will not hear a golf ball & idiot running around a golf course would not & should not be a consideration for a golfer.

10/02/2011 at 12:04
BRT wrote (see)
You will not hear a golf ball & idiot running around a golf course would not & should not be a consideration for a golfer.

It should be a consideration if there is a footpath through/across/near the golf course.

I run alongside the Saunton Golf Club fairly often, as there is a footpath that skirts the course. Never had any trouble from players or officials, and no near misses either.

10/02/2011 at 16:57
The Pilgrims' Way challenge last weekend followed the NDW and crossed 3 golf clubs.  The NDW existed before the golf courses, so really the onus is on the golfers to look out for runners/walkers rather than vice versa.
10/02/2011 at 17:23
I wouldn't advise it.  I went camping with a friend a few years ago.  We got lost, accidentally wandered onto a golf course and when we tried to approach a couple of golfers to ask for directions out of the place they started hitting balls at us. 
11/02/2011 at 12:10
Bear B.Hind wrote (see)
The Pilgrims' Way challenge last weekend followed the NDW and crossed 3 golf clubs.  The NDW existed before the golf courses, so really the onus is on the golfers to look out for runners/walkers rather than vice versa.

If you are on private property with no public right of way then you would not be a consideration to a golfer.

11/02/2011 at 13:33
"If you are on private property with no public right of way then you would not be a consideration to a golfer"

Stupid statement to make, but not unexpected.

Golfers are not inconsiderate people. They are on the lookout for anyone in front of them before hitting their next shot.

What golfers don't expect is someone to go bounding across fairways whilst they are hitting. Public rights of way across a golf course do not give people rights to walk willy nilly, but to respect that there is a golfer present and to wait or walk when everything is clear.

Not saying this happens on every golf course, but golfers do abide by a rule of etiquette, which is one of "Gentlemanly Conduct" This applies to everyone on the course, player or not.

Perhaps something lost on football yobs.
11/02/2011 at 13:43
You are getting a bit obsessed love,bit of a bunny boiler!
Edited: 11/02/2011 at 13:44
cougie    pirate
11/02/2011 at 13:49

The footpath on the golf course by me doesnt go across any holes - its between the holes - so risk of injury is pretty low and of course I'd keep a look out anyway.

If theres no path - you shouldnt be running across the golf course anyway.

1 to 20 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.