Goodie bag expectations

Curious about what people expect for their cash

21 to 31 of 31 messages
19/02/2013 at 22:58

If the leaflets are subsidising my entry fee then fair enough. If not then no thanks.

The only things I'd really want in a goody bag are a finishers medal, banana, bottle of water and maybe a decent t-shirt. The races I've done have included gels and little shots of energy drink, all sitting in my fridge because I never use them.

20/02/2013 at 06:18
My favourite freebie was a pair of left socks.
20/02/2013 at 07:03

I prefer no goody bag at all. Actually pretty much no memento at all and keep the price down.

Just organise a really good race as cheaply as possible, and get accurate results out as quickly as possible - that's all the memento I need.

20/02/2013 at 07:58

The most suprising gift was a loaf of bread and a packet of tea cakes .........the race was sponsored by Robertsons Bakery............once had a beer mat in a goody bag ,which I used as a sweat towel and  got pinched the next time I was at the gym.I,d rather have a cheaper race than all the usual rubbish you get in the goody bags.Doing a run at the weekend and you get a cup of soup and a roll at the end.........which sounds good to me..........

22/02/2013 at 15:44

It's not a gift - you bought it in your race entry!

seren nos    pirate
22/02/2013 at 16:03

I consider it a gift EC.unless it was advertised as part of the entry..............so if race entry states it includes a medal or a t-shirt or a christmas pudding i expect it...........

if they didn't state it then i paid my money for the race itself and anything extra is anice suprise gift 

22/02/2013 at 17:22

It was deffo a gift ................cos it was at christmas and they were christmas tea cakes

22/02/2013 at 17:32

Can't stand anything sweet so finding a Mars bar in the bottom of a bag filled with flyers really doesn't do it for me.  If I were to want something energy filled post race, I'd prefer a flapjack.  I remember having to promise the kids (all four of them) that I'd do enough races so they could have a Mars bar each!  Not too fussed for all the flyers for other events either as I live in an area where races are generally over an hours drive.  That said, once I've moved to Fife my views on that may change. 

I've got a drawer full of cleaning/decorating shirts (Scottish Gas 10K 2008 was pitiful) as well as some real stunners (Lakeland series shirts are always top notch).  Some of the medals have been pretty crap too, it has to be said, and I'm never happy if there's no medal at all!

Best goody bag I've ever had contained a jar of Baxters blackcurrant jam, a tin of soup and a jar of chutney as well as one of my favourite shirts and a cracking medal.  I remember playing swopsies with some of the other finishers and their jars/tins post race.  Must get back and do Loch Ness marathon again!

24/02/2013 at 16:35
I want nothing after a race myself,rather give the money to the homeless ,I keep my race numbers as a memo and write the time I did on it..

Wonder how many actually want this,it's not like we are going to a kids birthday ..what next moaning we don't get any cake
Edited: 24/02/2013 at 16:50
24/02/2013 at 17:59
A couple of bottles of alcohol free beer and a decent technical top. At least that's what I got at my last HM.
24/02/2013 at 18:31

I dont tend to go to races where there isnt a medal. Its a symbol of having achieved something, rather than an entry on your Garmin, and a memory in your head. A goody bag, is something of a luxury which one doesnt expect, but i do like the ones where you get racing plastic bracelets. I like wearing them. I expect to pay for things like a t-shirt, and i expect to pay for cakes etc, but anything other than a medal i consider a bonus, but a medal, i really do like.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.