Goodie Bags and Refreshments

21 to 24 of 24 messages
25/03/2008 at 16:14

The North Tyneside 10k goody bag has been excellent every year I've done it - I'm pretty sure this is because the council organise it and it's sponsored by Start Fitness, not some big money making machine like the Greatrun series.

The Blaydon Race always has a canny goody bag too  

Iron Pingu    pirate
25/03/2008 at 16:41
Give me a medal and I'm happy
25/03/2008 at 16:55
Did the Reading HM finish in Madjeski stadium? If it did do you really think the owners will have provided that finish and facilities for nothing? If you are running through a town on suburban streets which have been closed down, that sort of thing doesn't happen for free.
As an example - to shut down a small 1km circuit in a city centre for a bike race / criterium costs upwards of £800/hour. Now think how much it would cost to shut down 13.1 miles of city centre / suburban roads for a few hours....
If you want police prescence then that doesn't come cheap either. They charge for the privilege I'm afraid.
Compare this to a local club race and you'll find that the club race uses a rural / quiet course and the runners have to share road space with traffic, ie Hogweed Hilly HM or Nuneaton 10. Specifically I'm thinking of Kenilworth HM - lovely rural course, out in the countryside, minimal traffic compared with the Coventry / Godiva HM which shuts down the city centre/part of the ring road / a lot of surburban roads. Entry cost is similar for both races but the former is run by Kenilworth Runners and the latter subsidised by the local council.
I've done both last year and they are both on my list of races to do this autumn.
25/03/2008 at 17:08

I think my worst was a pedometer after the Brands Hatch half .... like I hadn't already done enough steps!!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.