grr ebay!

unfair feedback - what can I do?

18 messages
08/02/2005 at 10:47
bought an item from an ebay trader (chap owns a shop) as an xmas pressie ( a computer game).

when I got it through, it was minus instructions, though description on the auction definitely said they were included (plus as for pressie, didn't want to give it incomplete)

contacted the guy straight away, who said he'd find them and send them on.

To cut a long story short, made several contacts & got the same old line, & no progress.

Eventually he sent me ( what was probably a system generated email) requesting that I left feedback on the sale. contacted him again, & just got same old reply.

anyhow, 6 weeks on, I eventually left negative feedback saying that instructions were missing from item & we'd never resolved it.

Now he's left feedback on me saying that he'd offered a full refund which I'd refused & also that I had been too hasty in leaving feedback about .

This just isn't true & has wrecked my ebay rating, which is very annoying as I have sales that I would like to do, but now it looks as if I am well dodgy because he's feedback has made a huge dent in my rating.

looking at ebay policy, looks like I can only get them to do anything if I have a court order stating that his comments are libellous!

hardly seems fair that he can lie out of maliciousness & spoil things for me,when I'm not the one at fault.

so I'm out of pocket on the game (as I ended up buying a replacement before christmas )& will also be knackered on potential sales that I want to make, because I have a 'bad' reputation.

Grrr what can I do?
08/02/2005 at 10:52
you can reply to their feedback, can't remember how though, sure someone on here does.
08/02/2005 at 10:56
I know it's not much of a consellation, but I have seen people with negative feedback who have placed a reply which is shown under the negative comment. All you can do is summarise what you want to say in 80 characters or whatever the limit is.
If an ebayer has a lot of feedback, I only read the negative ones, so I understand how peed off you are. What's the effect on your rating?
08/02/2005 at 10:58
Trin - that's a nightmare. Is it possible to create a new login or does your rating follow you around?
08/02/2005 at 11:01
yeah! I've replied on the feedback that he left saying that I'd never received an offer of a refund.

my rating is now under 95%, as I hadn't done many transactions.

still annoys me that he can basically lie (I did contact him on the 'refund' statement, to which he basically said we could mutually agree to withdraw feedback on each other <no mention of a refund though, even though I did ask him how he wanted to proceed with it!>

- but then if you can basically force people to withdraw genuine critisim of a sale, then that wrecks the whole idea of feedback in the first place& that doesn't seem right either
08/02/2005 at 11:02
You can mutually agree to withdraw the negative feedback rating by filling out a form on the Ebay website.

You also have the option to leave one follow up feedback which can explain in more detail your side of the story.

I would also suggest that in future NEVER leave negative feedback until you have receive positive feedback from the seller/buyer.
08/02/2005 at 11:06
Good advice Drew.
Wiz
08/02/2005 at 11:08
Following on from what Drew says.

You have 90 days to leave feedback.

If they haven't left feedback on you and you wish to leave negative feedback then leave it until 89 days 23 hours and 59 minutes after the sale ended. The other person won't have time to give you negative feedback.
Wiz
08/02/2005 at 11:10
Also, when leaving negative feed back - keep calm.

What is more impressive 'This seller is a cheating c*nt' or 'after many e-mails no instructions were sent, would not recommend'?
08/02/2005 at 11:12
Thanks for that Wiz, brilliant idea as I have a couple of people I want to leave negative feedback for, although I have to say that I've been buying and selling on Ebay for quite a while now and have been so impressed by the service I have had from 99% of sellers. It's usually a lot faster than buying from a major retailer.
08/02/2005 at 11:13
re-register?
08/02/2005 at 12:22

bad luck Trinty, I do read comments rather than just look at the rating.

BTW I gave neutral feedback to a seller once and the his reply to this would have made my mother wash his mouth out with soapy water to clean it.

I think I may have to leave negative feedback because despite the fact the seller says he sent the item over two weeks ago I still haven't received it. Sent yet another email and had no reply, how long are you supposed to give sellers?
08/02/2005 at 12:37
I used to use ebay a lot & have some really good feedback. But I found that when I wasn't impressed with the service, I just didn't leave any feedback as I didn't know what to say.

I feel that it should be more acceptable to give neutral feedback. Especially if you weren't too impressed but nothing was actually wrong or the item took a long time to arrive due to no specific reason.
08/02/2005 at 13:36
wiz - did keep calm.

exact feedback was 'instructions missing from item and not resolved' - which (from my point of view) was a fair assessment, and certainly not abusive in anyway.

the 90 day trick sounds like a good idea though.
Wiz
08/02/2005 at 14:17
Trinity - I wasn't implying that you had put anything abusive, it was just general advice for anyone reading this.
08/02/2005 at 14:33
Trin - put a whole lot of stuff on, we'll "buy" it for 1p at a time, then give you glowing references, and your rating will go up.

Simple :o)

[does it work that way? I've never e-bayed in my life]
Bod
08/02/2005 at 14:37
Trin - don't worry about it too much. One bad feedback, especially if you've left and explanation won't hurt anyone. You've got to leave feedback as you see it, and if you've had bad service you owe it to the future customers of the seller to let them know what he's like. I look for the negatives but look to see if there's a trend.
08/02/2005 at 14:42
Nessie's idea does work as there are quite a few people selling high value items with seemingly excellent feedback ratings. On further investigation (and I would imagine that very few people do investigate further) these ratings have been acquired by buying items for 25p, 50p etc.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
18 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.